1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Declaring alloy wheel upgrade

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by InnerGuard, Jun 13, 2012.

1. InnerGuard

InnerGuard New Member

I am picking up my new A4 B8 SE tomorrow and already have a set of 18 inch S line alloys to put on it!

As they are genuine Audi alloys do they need declaring to my insurance as a mod?

Thanks!
  2. Reload

Reload Bird is the Word!

Let them know as it is a mod from standard factory fit, they probably won't care but sure as eggs is eggs they will use it as an excuse to invalidate your insurance if you don't tell them!
  3. InnerGuard

InnerGuard New Member

Thanks reload.. Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking as well!
  4. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Active Member

another £50 hike in premium more like
  5. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep

If they're available on the car from the factory (as most Audi wheels will be) you shouldn't need to declare them, but some companies do include a box to tick for optional extra wheels.
  6. Viking

Viking Member

Any change from how the car came out of the factory (that's your particular car, not any model in the range) should be declared. Factory options are all okay, but any changes made outside that should be notified to your insurers. The reason being you're adding value to the car and making it more attractive for theft.

If you talk nicely to them they may not hike your premium. I changed the wheels on my car and asked them first if it was okay. Told them what wheels they were (OEM wheels from another model in the range), and what the wheels were worth (told them they were second hand and consequently worth less than the ones on the car from factory) and even what tyres were fitted. They were okay and didn't increase the premium. I know my insurance is valid, but if I hadn't told them then it wouldn't be.
  7. longp2

longp2 Member

Can I ask where you got your new wheels from? I'm looking for a set to use as winters on my S4.
  8. InnerGuard

InnerGuard New Member

Well I picked the car up today, phoned Direct Line & to be fair to them they were spot on! Said as they were OEM there would be no increase but they've made a note of them on my policy!

Longp2 - found them on good old eBay, and they were a steal, but I did have to bide my time! £380 for 4 immaculate wheels with contact3 tyres! And they get fitted tomorrow! :)
  9. longp2

longp2 Member

Well done! I'll keep an eye out, don't need them till about October so will hopefully get lucky. Enjoy your car.
  10. wassap

wassap Member

Could run some 17" for winter? it would save you cash on tyres too, ok the car wont look as good for 2-3 months of the year, but it doesnt seem to bother ze germans/swiss etc!
  11. InnerGuard

InnerGuard New Member

And i have an IMMACULATE set now for sale on ebay..;)
  12. wassap

wassap Member

You got a link or item no?
  13. InnerGuard

InnerGuard New Member

Here we go.. Item number: 150837183705
  14. longp2

longp2 Member

Great price, not sure whether 17s will fit over the brakes of my S4.