Declare expired endorsements for 5 years

bengal

Reaction score
Hi a friend of mine got 3 points for speeding on his license just over 4 years ago and they have now expired but his insurance company have said he has to declare them for 5 years. I have seen this myself when getting quotes and thought how wrong it is that they can do this as the law is happy to call it a day after 4 years so why not the insurance companies. Its got profit written all over it if you ask me anyway i phoned the dvla out of interest and they said that after 4 years the points are no longer on the database as they are expired my friend also needs a new counterpart so i asked them how much to remove the points and send a new one and they said he will just have to pay for the replacement license as the points will not be recorded on the new one as they are no longer valid. So there is no need to declare expired points even though the insurance say so as they have no way of finding out as they are cleared from the database. The only way i can see them finding out is if they are still on your license and you have to show it to them in the event of a claim so its worthwhile getting them removed and you can also do what my friend has done and phone them when the 4 years is up and tell them you have originally told them the wrong date of the offence and change it back a year so that they have been on for 5 years that way you are covered by their own database. Anyone in a simalar situation should phone the dvla and find out for themselves and to stop paying more than they need to. Just to point out this is not aimed at sky insurance it is at the insurance industry as a whole.

It's a funny subject - they have a write to know who they are offering cover to and what sort of record they have but as I understand it they will not increase your premium after 3 years (some cases less) but a lot is dependant on individual companies / underwriters - also worth noting is that driving bans and similar possible have to be declared for upto 11years.

It's a funny subject - they have a write to know who they are offering cover to and what sort of record they have but as I understand it they will not increase your premium after 3 years (some cases less) but a lot is dependant on individual companies / underwriters - also worth noting is that driving bans and similar possible have to be declared for upto 11years.

I should have pointed out that im talking about a sp30 so this wont apply to all endorsements especially the more serious kind like you say driving bans but dont they stay on your license for 11 years? I agree that they have a right to know about who they are providing cover for but the point im trying to make is if in the eyes of the law the sp30 does not count after 4 years then it shouldnt count on insurance as the law is above the insurance companies not the other way round and i also think that the insurance companies rely on what people disclose to them so if you dont tell them certain things like this and there is no proof you are keeping it from them there is no way for them to find out. The reason i brought this up is even though his points are expired they are still affecting his premium as he ran quotes with and without declaring them and there was quite a difference hence why i think its wrong for them to do this. Interesting point about how they should not affect the premium though maybe there are some honest companies out there still.