1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions, decisions.... To Revo/BSR or not to Revo/BSR?

Keyser Soze May 20, 2011

1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

As some peeps may already know, I'm currently rebuilding an 01 X A4 1.8T Sport Avant auto in Ebony Black Pearl which had a blown turbo. Sump dropped & cleaned, new oil pump, new strainer, new oil feed line & return line for the turbo, new 710N, new N75, new Crankcase breather line and finally a new turbo! Alongside this a new timing belt, tensioner & idler, new alternator & ac belts & tensioners and a full complement of new filters spark plugs have all been fitted. The auto box has been flushed, new filter fitted and fresh new Audi ATF filled. Finally will be fitting a full complement of Brembo max Discs & Brembo pads onto which will be fitted the freshly refurbed & fininshed set of 17" Avus I picked up off the bay of e which have now been shod with brand spanking new 225/45 17" Y Goodyear Eagle F1's today.

I'd like to ask the question, do peeps think that it would be worth me having the ECU stage 1 mapped? I've been looking at two different options, a Stage 1 remap from Revo (TRL Developments http://www.trldevelopments.co.uk/revo ) which would give me approx +45 Bhp & +65 lbft increase over stock or the BSR PPC Stage 1 route ( Audi A4 1.8T 2WD 2001 150Hp Stage 1 - Tuning kit, performance parts, ecu upgrade )with +46 Bhp & +97 lbft increase over stock. The REVO option costs approx £299 and the BSR comes in at €671 (£585).

I quite like the idea of having extra power & torque being released, I also like the PPC idea of being able to upload/download the map/standard as & when wanted (within reason) but I'm unsure as to which would be the better option for me, to leave as stock or to have mapped? :sadlike:

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

It transforms the car, no idea how well it will work with the slush box though.

3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Out of the two options I'm looking at, only BSR mentions anything in regards to the suitability of their map to a slush box equipped car.

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Yet the revo map claims less torque so its likely to be more transmission friendly?

5. dest

dest Member

Id rather get a custom map from MRC for example, then you can have a say in how it performs in relation to the box

6. AndyC

AndyC Moderator Moderator

The torque delivery is simple to control, if you need to maintain box integrity then a smooth progressive boost curve (minors torque) will see you fine. Boxes only really struggle with rate of change.