1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

decat

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by slinky, Apr 3, 2007.

1. slinky

slinky New Member

[Apr 3, 2007]
    decat on a 1.8t? is it worth it? much more power?

i have a chipped 1.8t with an induction kit and cat back exhaust system. i see you can get decat pipes on ebay for around £120. get them cheaper anywhere else? could the car go into limp mode once fitted? could be a problem.... and also are they difficult to fit as they look difficult to get at... do you remove the cat from above or below? any help would be much appreciated. cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. joost

joost Active Member

[Apr 3, 2007]
    I had a de-cat (bear in mind mine's a NA 1.8) and it felt smoother, whether it made any difference to the paltry output I'm not sure. In theory, it should free up some power as there's less restriction on the exhaust but then some will argue otherwise.

You can get them from various places including ebay, MIJ and other bespoke exhaust places. Prices vary, as do the gains the manufacturers claim, best to shop around.

Limp mode unlikely AFAIK, the lambda sensor's on the downpipe IIRC, the cat is behind that. I may well be wrong though. Prob need to get at it both from the top and underneath because of where it is. Again, I could be corrected very shortly!!

Have you not considered a high-flow cat? Slightly more expensive but easier come MOT time...
  4. Biglockie

Biglockie Aye you know it makes sense

[Apr 3, 2007]
    Go for the decat, the limp mode is triggered when you over boost (I think)

the removal of the CAT will free up some power how much I couldn't be sure but it will be smoother on pick up.

Any engine especially turbo'd units do benefit from de cats
  5. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

[Apr 3, 2007]
  6. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

[Apr 3, 2007]
    I have recently fitted a de-cat pipe to mine and the turbo spools up quicker plus you can hear the turbo spooling aswell which is pretty cool. Would need to get a dyno reading to see what the power difference is but yes there is a noticable difference. I got mine for £80 from a fellow AS member.
    £120 seems quite high i have seen them on eBay for alot less brand new.
  7. macca

macca Member

[Apr 3, 2007]
    billybravo, since doing your decat i take it that everything is good and well worth the effort?

after reading your write up i have decided to get one in a few weeks time, once i've caught up with sorting other bits out. i'm only fitting until i do my big turbo in the winter, but for £130 seems like it's worth the effort.
  8. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

[Apr 4, 2007]
    well if you use the one ive got 3" THS ATP pipe it will work well with the Gt28R

and yes in my eyes it was worth every penny. if you need any help just give us a pm

cheers

craig
  9. A3_Turbo

A3_Turbo Swaying towards IHI....

[Apr 5, 2007]
    I Lost 10bhp on the rollers with my decat, Took it off and put a miltek cat in,

It was alright then.

I had nothing but trouble with my decat....

Jason