Dealer wont fix my alloys

Rich-xstS3

Reaction score
I bought an 07 S3 in July 09. In November i noticed the paint peeling off one of the wheels. Took it back to the garage. The warranty guy took a quick look and ordered me a new alloy. I new the wheels had been refurbed by the dealer when they took the car back but didnt say anything. While waiting for the new alloy to arrive ( took ages to come because of all the bad weather and didnt get it on until in between xmas and new year) the other 3 wheels started to blister and peel. I was told if the warranty claim was accepted they would just put the other 3 wheels through aswell. As you can imagine it wasnt. Next step was to get in contact with the Used Car Sales Manager. Basically his answer was that even though they had them refurbished they arent his problem. I tried to explain that after paying 23 grand for a car I would not expect the wheels to peel after 6 months. The best I can get from him is he will contribute something towards having the 3 wheels refurbed. "Something" could be a fiver to be honest. Got a quote from the dealer body shop to have them blasted and repainted. £465.

Anyone experienced similair problems and got anywhere with it?

wow that is a pretty steep price IMO. i had mine done blasted and powder coated, colour base then clear for 300. Anyway dont they give a year warranty with the car? and even if not the refurb Co should give a years warranty for their work. Id be going straight to trading standards mate. hope you get it sorted

The fact the wheels have had a refurb shouldn't be your problem. If they've been done so badly that they're peeling quite quickly, again not your problem. They should cover the cost of a professional job in full minimum.

Personally I'd be holding out for a brand new set of wheels.

When Honda had an issue of peeling wheels on the Civic Type-R, they gave replacement wheels FOC under warranty.

hold your ground youve not done anything to bring about the peeling and its stull under warrenty

Was up at Audi today. Managed to get them to sort the wheels free of charge. I spoke with Trading Standards today and found that I do have rights and basically it is up to them to sort them. Because the car has finance on it the finance company have an interest in the car getting sorted properly aswell. Had to tell them that I didnt want to but I would get them involved aswell if I had to. Recieved a phone call a couple hours after leaving saying that I had to book it into the body shop and the wheels would be done free of charge.

Happy days!

Congrats Rich. Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

Me too. Thought at 1 point I was going to have to pay a fortune to get them sorted myself.

Cheers