Dealer Paint Protection

Princess RS3

Reaction score
Hi all

Just a quick question on your thoughts of the up-sell of both the paint and leather protection after your purchase of a new car.

I was offered two different products that would cover Paint, Leather, Vinyl and Carpets. I didn't buy into any of the selling points however........... would love to hear your feedback?

If you want title changed just send me a message and I will change for you :) x

Hi all

Just a quick question on your thoughts of the up-sell of both the paint and leather protection after your purchase of a new car.

I was offered two different products that would cover Paint, Leather, Vinyl and Carpets. I didn't buy into any of the selling points however...........
would love to hear your feedback?
@Princess RS3 - Short answer is, don't! Get it done by a Pro-Detailer
Have a look here
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/how-do-you-treat-protect-your-new-cars-paint.258792/

Reactions: Princess RS3
This is cut and paste from another thread I posted in.

My wife worked in the service department of a reputable dealership for quite a while, and before i got into detailing I thought it was a good product. To be fair, it probably is a good product. The problem lies with who is applying it. I worked in the same dealership for a short while, and from my experience of the valeters (who thought is was a good idea to move the car slowly then JAM on the brakes to get the water to fall off) (before they took the dry chamois/sand paper to it) had ZERO training on how to apply the product, and barely had the time to do it before handover. The amount of half used kits she had bits and pieces from where they hadn't used them was astonishing.

And they certainly did not decontaminate the paint before application, which is essential to its longevity.

My advice. Get a professional to do it. Even if it costs double. Or triple.

Products are usually only as good as the prep you put in before applying them.

As above. Don't let them touch it. The GuardX stuff they use is under a tenner on eBay and they charge you £300-£500 to do it, and do it extremely poorly. Get a pro-detailer to do it or do it yourself. But step away from the sales pitch.

There's plenty of good stuff available (check out the forum sponsor) but dealers are generally not good at applying the stuff and rip you off price wise.

Look through the topics in this detailing thread or get lost on Detailing World.

But whatever is applied you will need to take care of the paint finish on your RS3

Stay well away from dealer applied protections as they always put more defects in the paintwork and get a pro detailer to do it. I'm in Essex - not sure if that's far away from you or not?

Stay well away from dealer applied protections as they always put more defects in the paintwork and get a pro detailer to do it. I'm in Essex - not sure if that's far away from you or not?
It seems the general consensus here is to not let the dealer touch the car.

I'm in Australia and have found the equivalent forum for there.

I have been directed to what looks to be an awesome Detailer whom I shall contact on Monday.

Appreciate the feedback !

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Bristle Hound and Scottyg
Any buses from oz go down Essex way? :friendly wink: