Dealer Issues

davidbir

Reaction score
So, I collect my A4 Avant from the dealer on the 1st September, all looks good. Notice 2 marks on the interior plastic/chrome which look like they need wiping with a cloth. Drive away happy, realise later that the marks are actually permanent and the rear numberplate is wonky!

Contact dealer who says they are not covered under warranty and because I signed the Handover checklist to say everything was OK there is nothing they can do!

Contacted Audi UK who are useless, they only act as a liaison between the dealer and the customer and recommended I speak to the dealership again. It is the dealers decision and I they have no clout to make the dealer do something!

Have sent an email to the head of the centre and also an mail to Audi Finance.

The handover checklist clearly states "This does not affect your statutory rights". The consumer rights act clearly states that the car must be of satisfactory quality. As a brand new vehicle with visibly marked marked trims, this is obviously not the case.

I'm amazed that I'm having this issue, they have agreed to fix the numberplate which admits there were issues with the car after collection.

What do others think?

Threaten them with rejection of the car under your statutory consumer rights, start kicking off in the showroom usually does the trick..

Last edited:
You cannot reject the car outright without the dealer having reasonable chance to fix it as you are over 30 days if you picked up on the 1st Sept.
The consumer rights act basically says that you have 30 days to reject the car outright with a valid reason. Between 30 days and 6 months the dealer has 1 chance to put right what has gone wrong.

As a wonky number plate would clearly be an issue from delivery, the dealer should correct this, as for the tarnished chrome/plastic, if reported within the first 30 days, and you have documentation to back this up, then you could file for rejection, but not sure how you will get on saying the car is not fit for purpose or how you can prove you did not tarnish the chrome/plastics.

A loud voice on a busy sales day can help, but if the dealer is that bad, then I guess they won't care! It seems basic customer service is beyond a lot of car dealers these days.

Reactions: firebits and Kestrel
You cannot reject the car outright without the dealer having reasonable chance to fix it as you are over 30 days if you picked up on the 1st Sept.
The consumer rights act basically says that you have 30 days to reject the car outright with a valid reason. Between 30 days and 6 months the dealer has 1 chance to put right what has gone wrong.

As a wonky number plate would clearly be an issue from delivery, the dealer should correct this, as for the tarnished chrome/plastic, if reported within the first 30 days, and you have documentation to back this up, then you could file for rejection, but not sure how you will get on saying the car is not fit for purpose or how you can prove you did not tarnish the chrome/plastics.

A loud voice on a busy sales day can help, but if the dealer is that bad, then I guess they won't care! It seems basic customer service is beyond a lot of car dealers these days.

Yes, but make the threat to reject the car and let the dealer use his chance to fix the it.

I got Supaguard (I know) applied to mine at the dealer, and I've been 2 months chasing them using Audi Customer Services due to issues I have with it:

1) Dark lines under doors that won't wash off
2) Sticker mark on an alloy that won't come off
3) Transit sticker marks on the windscreen even after using glass cleaner a couple of times.

My dispute is either a) The "applied" that stuff to an unclean car - i.e. they never prepared it properly, or b) They charged for it but didn't do it.

My experience of dealers so far is - buy another brand.

If only that Mercedes dealer had called back after his day off ;)

I know its the same stable, but I didn't have this difficulty in sorting problems with the 4 VWs I've had before this Audi. When Customer Services get involved, stuff got sorted.

I did consider the new Passat estate before the A4. Might have been a better option.

I looked at the Passat too, was very tempted but VWs lacklustre MDI / infotainment / virtual cockpit ultimately put me off. I hope things will be smoother than the scares here for my collection tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only that Mercedes dealer had called back after his day off ;)

Think yourself lucky then, had to reject my Merc after 18 days due to the footwell being full of water. MB customer service is no better.
Was looking at an A4 as a replacement, maybe I should visit Kia instead :)

Its that difficult thing of only ever needing to deal with aftercare when you have a problem, so by virtue you're not in the best frame of mind given you've spent £30k+ on a motor.

Dealers that can manage those problems well stand out. Those that struggle/don't care rightly get stick.

Reactions: Kestrel
I got Supaguard (I know) applied to mine at the dealer, and I've been 2 months chasing them using Audi Customer Services due to issues I have with it:

1) Dark lines under doors that won't wash off
2) Sticker mark on an alloy that won't come off
3) Transit sticker marks on the windscreen even after using glass cleaner a couple of times.

1) Try some tar remover
2 and 3) Try tar/adhesive remover and then try a vehicle clay bar

Thanks, that will be my next course of action if they don't sort it. Paid for my reimbursing the £299 it cost in the first place (I know)

Any car enthusiast would stay clear of supaguard!
I got offered it for free and a £250 voucher and I still said no!

As you signed the checklist saying everything was ok I can see their point of view. You could well have just done that yourself the first time you cleaned it and are trying to get them to fix it for you FOC. If you're lucky they might agree to do it as a goodwill gesture - I suppose it depends on whether you are an existing customer (i.e. if you have had your car serviced there previously or purchased cars from them previously).

Car picked up today on a trailer. Left me an A6 s-line with 43 miles on the clock as a loaner. Hopefully it comes back all sorted.

The MMI on a brand new A6 is a bit disappointing compared to the A4. No USB ports that I can find either