1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Pixel Advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Caesium, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Oct 18, 2006]
    I bought an LCD screen for my pc yesterday and it had 3 pixels that don't work, 2 red ones and a green one, should I accept it or return the bloody thing? They're small but bug me a bit.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. Ed

Ed Member

[Oct 18, 2006]
    Return it, it will bug you for life otherwise! lol

Most manufacturers are pretty good at replacing TV's with dead pixels.
  4. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Oct 18, 2006]
    depends on who you bought it from, and the size of the panel you bought. Theres a dead pixel tolerance level that is apparently OK depending on the number of viewable pixels. I think that 3 is apparently an "acceptable" number. have a google.

personally, i think that there should be absolutely none.

If you want to return it, make up some other story other than dead pixels, as that will get you nowhere. if its PCworld, say its the wrong colour ;)
  5. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 18, 2006]
    3 dead pixels is the acceptable standard. However, most suppliers will be happy with exchange it for you.

Rich
  6. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Oct 18, 2006]
    I wouldn't buy anything expensive from PC world, so thats everything then....
  7. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Oct 18, 2006]
    haha, that what i thought. However, their returns policy is 2rd to none. Some things i'll never buy from there, but sometimes you can catch them being cheaper than online stores.

for example, it took me 10 minutes to return a 7 month old £300 graphics card to PCW for a full, no questions asked refund. I had another card there and then, much better than my original, and was working 10 mins after i got back home again.

Now if i bought it online..... 3 hours, i may have an RMA number if i'm lucky, 2 days they may or may not acknowledge the receipt of my card... 2 weeks later it'll be returned with no fault found covered in pizza.

I just hate waiting tbh.
  8. ren

ren Member

[Oct 18, 2006]
    i'd try returning it first. it's a bit of a lottery, the dead pixel thing - the one they replace it with may be no better.

most dead pixels can be massaged back to life. so if your screen develops one as it gets older, just rub the area gently with the end of your finger and chances are it'll start working again.
  9. natedog

natedog Member

[Oct 18, 2006]
    mm well my copmany always tries to tsell LCD's from companies that have a Zero dead pixel policy... Couple of things you can try.

1, Return it and ask them to test the new one in the shop before you accept it

2, If its a used screen, then you can work the dead pixels a little with a finger, as sometimes they can get stuck..

Hope you have some luck