1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Car

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by DieselJake, Sep 14, 2013.

1. DieselJake

DieselJake God Mode

My car's taken that stop start technology and decided to use it cutting out on a roundabout :aggressive:. She runs for a short while then cuts out after you give her a couple revs whether it's parked or in moving, seems to be fine sitting with the engine on without revving the accelerator. No idea what the problem is but the guy who pulled it home said it could be the EGR... I'm not brilliant with engine components but surely a blocked EGR would just pump **** into the engine, been meaning to clean and blank it for a while but surely it's something else :think:. It's a 1.9tdi manual 130bhp.

Please help!

Here's a picture of her crying for mercy on the roundabout

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Sorry to read about your troubles. I'm in a similar boat right now, so hope you find a fix soon that doesn't empty your bank account.
  3. deano1978

deano1978 different gear

It mght be your shudder valve on the egr. Try disconecting it.
    The black plactic thing next to egr. Just pull hose off and stick a large nail or screw or anythink to stop **** getting in.
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

EGR blanking plate off eBay for £3 and 30 minutes to fit. Best mode ever, better mpg and no rev fluctuations on idle on my 1.9 PD in my Passat. Currently on 207k miles!

No help to your cutting off problem though. Could be MAF sensor, temp sensor, or crank sensor. If its had cambelt done recently, could be fuel pump timing. Hope it's a cheap fix!
  5. DieselJake

DieselJake God Mode

Cheers, hopefully we hit two birds with one stone in that case.

Not going to lie I'm useless under a bonnet haha may have got it with this solution though will definately give that a shot, thanks Deano :happy:

Picked one up a while back but never fitted :crying: god I need to stop collecting parts and start fitting them haha. 207k is ace! fingers crossed mine lasts that long, currently only on 104k.

Could easily be MAF, temp or crank, I'm useless at problem solving but will take a look at posts where people have had issues with these and see if any match up :happy: cheers jojo.
  6. DieselJake

DieselJake God Mode

Just to update the car started working again :think: really weird how this problem's coming and going pretty sure it will die again soon. Gave it to a mechanic who took it for a drive to see how it felt, came back saying "it goes like a rocket" pahaha was pleased but pissed off at the same time because he didn't even put it on a diagnostic. Got it booked somewhere else for tomorrow.
  7. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

have you had it plugged into a code reader to see what error codes are stored in there ?
  8. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

id say the egr
  9. DieselJake

DieselJake God Mode

Hadn't at the time, although the entire reason for me going was for the mechanic to plug it in instead of taking it out and letting me know "it goes like a rocket" haha

went somewhere else today and this guy actually used vag com :o.k:

4 Faults found:
    17994 - Engine Mount Solenoid Valves (N144/N145)
    P1586 - 35-10 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
    Mechanic didn't know what this was... pretty sure I do the engine vibrates a fair bit so one of the mounts is gone, could do with replacing but far as I know shakey engine's won't cause problems... or will it... hmm

17965 - Charge Pressure Control
    P1557 - 35-10 - Positive Deviation - Intermittent
    Mechanic said this is to do with the wastegate on my turbo, apparently I need a new turbo which for most people would be a horror story but to me means a good excuse for a bigger turbo haha, in all honesty though couldn't tell if it's genuinely ruined or the guy just saw dollar signs when I walked in. Surely the turbo isn't the issue... hmm

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
    P1570 - 35-10 - - Intermittent
    Mechanic didn't seem to know what this was and I told him it must be because the alarm doesn't sound... but looking again I'm fairly sure that code was to do with me putting my foot on the throttle and it cutting out, argh what the hell is causing this

16485 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
    P0101 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal
    No clue on this one, mechanic said something about turbo again

Readiness: 0 0 X X X

So yeah he says I need a new turbo, clutch and DMF, that's all good and I probably do but surely that has nothing to do with the problem, argh no idea with this

Cheers, pretty sure I need to read up more on egr's, always thought they just took air back to the engine and have no clue how they cause problems
  10. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Active Member

When the car cuts out - do you get the symbol of a flashing car with a key on the dash?
  11. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Member

Sounds like you have sticking turbo vanes (17965 + P1557). Mr Muscle treatment should sort that.

Immobilser issue.
    17978/P1570/005488 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16485 AMM/MAF sensor is goosed.
  12. DieselJake

DieselJake God Mode

Nope absolutely nothing, would think the car would tell me something :sadlike: wish it wasn't intermitent would make it allot easier to resolve.
  13. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Active Member

Would the injector loom cause this issue?
    I believe it is common on the 1.9's
  14. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Member

I've had a failed MAF once that caused similar problems. Engine would tick over fine , but the moment I tried to rev it, it would die.
    Worth unplugging the MAF to see if there's a change. Pretty sure Audi tdi's go into limp with the MAF unplugged, but it could isolate the issue.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  15. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Member

Pretty sure there's an intermittent fault code logged when the harness is dodgy.