De-tuning remap???

D8UGF

Reaction score
Hi gents/ladies,

I will be moving over to this forum as of this afternoon from the B6 forum when I pick up my 2.0Tdi 170 S-line Avant. Having read a lot of the horror stories of the issues experienced on the 170 engine I was wondering if you thought a remap could detune the power of this engine and increase the mpg? If speed/power is not a main concern do you think it would be beneficial to dial it back a bit and have the engine run well within its limits?

Dougie

Last edited:
You can certainly get remaps for economy, but they don't usually compromise the power at all. I'm absolutely certain if would be possible to de-tune and engine and lower the power by lowering turbo boost or something. But personally I think it would be pointless.

Thanks Mikey,

I guess the only point of doing it would be if it was proven that the issues being experienced on this engine were due to it performing at the top end of its performance limits and that dialing it back would prevent a lot of the problems. I know people will say that you are as well just buying a 140 if I feel that way, but on balance this was the right car for meand it just so happened to be the 170 engine. Im not overly concerned, as the car is from an Audi main dealer, so will have the warranty for a year, but was just thinking beyond that.

Cheers

Dougie

Get them to replace the injectors before you drive it away. They should do it FOC or just remind them of this forum and call Audi UK

Just for the record, my 170 S-line Avant Quattro TDI has done 92,000 miles and not a single issue apart from a faulty brake pedal sensor (so far!!)

LesPaul, afraid I picked it up before I saw your post!

Its not got off to a great start to be honest, on the way into work this morning the diesel particulate filter light came on, I drive a 30 mile journey on A roads and motorway so the line in the manual about driving above 2000rpm etc inst really applicable. I've got Audi roadside assistance coming out this morning so we will see how they get on.

Dougie

You hear alot of stories like this were people have bought a car from audi and everything seems to go wrong in the first few days but this is good cos your warranty will pick it all up.

Don't de-tune the engine just have the DPF removed and it mapped for that, you should see over 200bhp of reliable care free power!

Someone back me up please as I know it's hard to believe this is worth doing!

Turned out to be the sensor. Roadside assistance came out and fixed it in the carpark at work. So all is good for the moment.
I will leave the serious mods until the warranty is up then I might consider doing some stuff to it. Have started on the look of the car tho', got my 18" Oz wheels on it (which have a spacer built into the wheel) and am waiting on the number plate panel to be painted black soI can fit my Rs4 black optics grill. Have de-badged the back and am now contemplating a darker tint for the rear windows.

Dougie