1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

de chroming front grills

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Leaky Lloyd, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Leaky Lloyd

Leaky Lloyd Member

[Jun 21, 2011]
    ahdoo fella's

only just got round to doing this mod !!!

is it essential to strip the chrome fully off,, or just sand it enough for prima to key ?????

also,, what sort of prima should i use and which sort of black should i use,
    dont want a really shiney black,
    but then again i dont want matt black either,, can look grey in certain lights !!!

cheers !!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Widemonkeys

Widemonkeys 1st Gear

[Jun 21, 2011]
    I just did mine last week. I just took the grills out and popped the chrome off. I used something called plastidip. No need for primer and it looks good. It's a kind of matt black
  4. Leaky Lloyd

Leaky Lloyd Member

[Jun 21, 2011]
    think you mis understood pal,,
    ive got the grills off the car,, i mean paint prep,, does the chrome have to come off,, or just be scratched up enough to get a good key for the paint/primer ?
  5. Widemonkeys

Widemonkeys 1st Gear

[Jun 21, 2011]
    I would take them off unless you want to paint those aswell. If you use the plastidip you don't need to scratch it up or prime it. It just goes straight on
  6. Point_Audi

Point_Audi Vorsprung durch Technik Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Jun 21, 2011]
    When I was spraying my grills, I removed the chrome and scratched it until there was no longer a shine! I then coated it 4 times with matt black heat resistant spray paint! I am not sure if you really need the heat resistant paint, but since it was near the engine I decided best to use it!. To finish off I finally coated it with a clear protective coat! Main reason being I am on the road all the time and didn't want all my hard work to be wasted with stone chip! :sadlike:

Done all this 4 months ago and still no stone chips, touch wood!lol Below a few pictures of the finished product! :) Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Leaky Lloyd

Leaky Lloyd Member

[Jun 21, 2011]
    nice one,, thanks !!!

the plastidip sounds a good idea, but i think im gunna have to sand mine down due to the chrome bubbling in places, and pitting !!!
  8. Point_Audi

Point_Audi Vorsprung durch Technik Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Jun 21, 2011]
    I have read good reviews about the Plastidip, will prob use that myself when I come to re-doing them! :) .. A good sand down will do it no harm esp if you say its bubbling etc! Nice Cheap mod and looks the part! :)
  9. Leaky Lloyd

Leaky Lloyd Member

[Jun 23, 2011]
    all finished,, wow,, cant believe something so simple could look so good !!!!

wish all mods where this cheap,

next on the list, is to paint the calipers silver and paint the disk guards and disk hubs black !!!!

wheels are still on the to do list,,, gunmetal at the moment,, gunna go hypersilver i think !
  10. Higgsy

Higgsy Hard To Spin

[Jul 7, 2011]
    Plasti-dip is amazing, ive had it on for months and not a single chip :yahoo:
  11. Martin69

Martin69 Member

[Jul 7, 2011]
    Ive literally just stuck mine on as well... looks great... [​IMG]

well I think it does anyway...
    my procedure was to sand down the chrome just lightly to allow primer to stick... then paint over that with gloss black... followed by a few coats of clear... 1200 grit paper should be enough... maybe 1000 if you want to smooth it out a bit more...

edit - just realised I havent got the lower grille done yet... have s-line grilles bought for s-line bumper upgrade but my waiting on my panel beater to fit me in next week...
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  12. paulsaudi

paulsaudi Member

[Jul 8, 2011]
    This is what i did :)

3M Carbon Di-Noc £12.50 for a sheet, i did interior grab handles, grill and more and still got a load left. I even wrapped my key!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]