De-cat

Y10 KED

Reaction score
Guys talk to me I want a de-cat, where is everyone finding them ? What size is everyone running for optimal power ? Will it March up to the standard exhaust ? Help me please it please

Links will be highly appreciated

Thanks

I’m running the 034 HFC as I wanted to stay on the right side of the law. As mentioned it’s not cheap but I definitely noticed an improvement.

So I’m currently at Revo Stage 1, haven’t had it on a dyno. I am making an induction kit just want a heat shield to prevent heat soak. The company I work for (Airtec) is developing an intercooler with boost pipes which will be going onto my car. So I will be upgrading to Revo Stage 2.

Dan what are you currently running mate ?

Mine is also fitted with an 034 Motorsports HFC and definite gains.. esp. when fitted and then mapped.
Road legal yes if yours passes mot emission test.!

@Rob Avant

What stage of tune are you at mate? What mods have you made and what power you at?
Hi Dan, I’m running Revo stage 2 with uprated FMIC, 034 HFC and full Milltek system. I’ve not been on the rollers since going to stage 2 as I’m getting clutch slip and need to sort that first!

As others have said really ,the 034 HFC is a first rate product, a bit pricey new but there some good used ones around at good savings, one of the few mods on my old bus that has been worth fitting.
For best result you need to upgrade the down pipe aswell really if you don't want to fit a whole cat back system.

@Y10 KED

I’m only on a generic stage 1 map at the moment. However, all I need to go to stage 3 is a turbo. I have everything else ready to go on the car. Just haven’t got time to fit it on the car at the moment!

@Rob Avant

My clutch is about to fall out too mate. I just bought a south bend stage 3 daily clutch and flywheel kit. Gonna get it fitted at the end of the month and bed it in before I start fitting my performance parts.

I’m gonna go hybrid turbo simply for the fact it’s plug and play. I’ve spent enough money on it already. I don’t wanna fork out the extra for a k04 conversion!

what I noticed with the 034 HFC is that my old bus has developed a rather nice midrange growl, never had it before, very intoxicating aswell, just cant help using more right foot pressure now...
I stuck with the original oem system but changed the down pipe , I had a tapered one fabbed so its a nice continual flow now , none of the big step between the cat outlet flange and the down pipe.
milltek do one but it only fits with the milltek systems .

Ah right I see. I do really want the milltek non res complete system so that is my final aim :)

@Y10 KED

I recommend the Milltek exhaust, again not the cheapest option on the market but well made and sounds good. I went for resonated as I didn’t want too much cabin drone on long journeys, although I’ve heard the non resonated system and strangely it’s not that much louder.

@Dan_Avant

I definitely need to look into an uprated clutch and DMF. I was about to do the HPFP and stage 2+ but the clutch is more urgent. Hopefully going down the K03 hybrid route in the future when funds allow.

Rob - do the 034 HFC and Milltek down pipe match up ok or did you have to ‘make them fit’ together?

Clutch I’ve got is going to be heavy as it’s stage 3 and is a single mass flywheel so I am expecting some vibration as well. Paid £750 for it which is cheaper than the ECS stage 1 with RS4 clutch assembly and can handle a lot more power and tourqe.

@Y10 KED be sure to post pics and spec when you’ve got your new intercooler fitted

The problem is not the milltek downpipe fitting the 034, the problem is the 034 down pipe wont line up with the oem system on the quattro, I was happy to stick with the oem cat back system as the gains from the milltek system were not that much given the cost of it , but the 034 cat and larger down pipe has a more significant impact and gain are more noticeble, so had a customs down pipe made up, wasn't expensive and didn't take long and it sounds great, nice and quiet normally but angry when you use the right foot properly..lol

Ive currently got ebay decat pipe mated to miltek. I de-resonated the miltek system too as previous owner got a resonated one for some reason!

Also had my map tweaked for some nice over run pops and bangs because im childish like that lol

Right I have some pictures at the ready of the mock up, I will be getting my kit made and then sent for powder coating and then I will have final fit pictures. I will also put the sizes of the core on here. I will get some pictures of the test cooler on here tonight if I can figure how to upload them :)

Rob - do the 034 HFC and Milltek down pipe match up ok or did you have to ‘make them fit’ together?

Clutch I’ve got is going to be heavy as it’s stage 3 and is a single mass flywheel so I am expecting some vibration as well. Paid £750 for it which is cheaper than the ECS stage 1 with RS4 clutch assembly and can handle a lot more power and tourqe.

@Y10 KED be sure to post pics and spec when you’ve got your new intercooler fitted

The Milltek downpipe and the 034 went together without any problems. I did the exhaust first as the stock system was fairly rusty and needed replacing. Also Milltek are based up the road in Derby and my local garage did me a deal I couldn’t refuse. I’ve still got some research to do into the clutch as I’m not sure if I’ll go past stage 2+

This is what I used to get a custom large bore down pipe fabricated, if you don't want to spend big time on a catback milltek and then the 034 HFC , you can still do a big bore downpipe with an 034 and get prettywell the same gains with the remaining oem system as it's not really that restricting.
The main restriction in the setup is the oem cat and down pipe , get a sports cat and larger bore downpipe and save yourself a lot of ££££ , unless you're going serious power hunting.

Miltek2