De-badging

Nathen

Reaction score
Going to be de-badging my A3 very soon, I've de-baged my cars in the past but want to do the A3 right, when I've done it in the past I've managed to get the badges off no worries with a heat gun but im always left with the "shadow" of the badge once I've got it off, any ideas on how to get that off so I'm left with nothing but a clean boot lid, cheers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Detail it off. Proper machine and quality compound should take care of it. If it's a deep discoloration, it may be tricky.

Detail it off. Proper machine and quality compound should take care of it. If it's a deep discoloration, it may be tricky.
Thanks for reply will give it ago, hoping it's not bad. Cheers.

When using a heat gun, there is a risk of damaging the paint. If your heat gun have that option, set it on lower temperature and heat it up gradually around the badge and on it also. Spot heat, than use dental floss or fishing line to remove the badge.
That way you will get the badge in one piece and make sure no paint chips/dents.

When using a heat gun, there is a risk of damaging the paint. If your heat gun have that option, set it on lower temperature and heat it up gradually around the badge and on it also. Spot heat, than use dental floss or fishing line to remove the badge.
That way you will get the badge in one piece and make sure no paint chips/dents.
Yh that's what I usually do, my heat gun is broke so will have to use a hair dryer, but I do use dental floss to remove the badge just have the shadowing afterwards which I want to avoid, cheers.

I'm the same :)

TX.
FB IMG 1502569906685

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Tar remover / WD40 , then boiling water is good , badges almost fall off .

On older cars the shadow is genuine UV paint fade Vs covered paint .

Tar remover / WD40 , then boiling water is good , badges almost fall off .

On older cars the shadow is genuine UV paint fade Vs covered paint .
Ok, how would u fix the paint faid? Because I assume just cleaning the area won't fix it, all I can see is getting it re-sprayed :/ which is expensive, my cars a 54 plate so pretty old.

I changed the 'V6T' badges on my S4 to OEM 'Supercharged' ones
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...loon-black-edition.240456/page-8#post-2488403

I used the Dental floss method of removal of the V6T, which was particularly easy. The remaining badge adhesive I was able to roll off off easily too leaving minor residue which was easily removed with Auto Finesse Oblitarate. I can only assume as my car was new that the removal process was so easy

Reactions: 45bvtc
I changed the 'V6T' badges on my S4 to OEM 'Supercharged' ones
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...loon-black-edition.240456/page-8#post-2488403

I used the Dental floss method of removal of the V6T, which was particularly easy. The remaining badge adhesive I was able to roll off off easily too leaving minor residue which was easily removed with Auto Finesse Oblitarate. I can only assume as my car was new that the removal process was so easy
That's the method I'm going to go for as I've done it plenty of times before I can just never get the shadowing effect off, may be cus all my cars have been old and have the UV paint faid thing. Not sure if it's worth it if I'm gonna be left with an A3 and 2.0l TDI shadow on my boot lid.

I have debadged a few car's over the year's and the only thing I have ever used is petrol /gasoline. Just keep in behind the badge wet with it and after a few minutes it'll just peel right off..!

I have debadged a few car's over the year's and the only thing I have ever used is petrol /gasoline. Just keep in behind the badge wet with it and after a few minutes it'll just peel right off..!
Hmm I might give that a go actually, cheers.

I debadged our cars recently .
I loosened the badge with dental floss then let tardis (tar and glue remover )soak into the sticky behind the badge and gradually took the badge off with dental floss and then took the adhesive off then washed the boot and detailed it with meguires compound and a/g srp , no marks and a super clean boot , but I had to give the cars a good clean and polish /seal afterwards as the boot showed the rest pof the car up .

I debadged my A5 last week, basically soaked the badges in Tar and Glue remover then used dental floss to get behind them and remove them from the boot.

After the badges were gone I used more Citrus tar and glue on the residue before using G Techniq P1 to get rid of any shadowing.

The key is to be relaxed about removing the residue, any use of finger nails to scrub it away will leave scratches.

At work I use plastic razor blades in a plastic holder, it can still scratch the car but if you are careful and use a good adhesive remover you should be fine.
We usually only debadge newer cars (within 6 years of age) and dont get any of the shadowing.

I finally got around to de-baging my car last week after creating this thread I'm pleased with the resault, it's better than I expected, I used a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive behind the badges and dental floss to remove the them, some WD 40 to remove the rest of the adhesive once the badges come off which worked really well, some Autobrite all purpose cleaner to remove the WD 40 and gave the areas a polish up with auto glym polish. Pics taken a week after polishing haha.
adf4902940faebf093e6824b10caa444.jpg
5a6612dfe5771fb4416cc42121aeb681.jpg
e07198c16c3b87ab251872ce0d460eee.jpg

Reactions: daytonamart
nice, looks pro!
I finally got around to de-baging my car last week after creating this thread I'm pleased with the resault, it's better than I expected, I used a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive behind the badges and dental floss to remove the them, some WD 40 to remove the rest of the adhesive once the badges come off which worked really well, some Autobrite all purpose cleaner to remove the WD 40 and gave the areas a polish up with auto glym polish. Pics taken a week after polishing haha.

Reactions: Nathen
Looks good. Great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nathen

I was just about to suggest this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/meguiars-ultimate-compound-450ml

It was the only thing that removed a bird poo scab from my black S3! Tried everything on it, it's handy for anything light.

Reactions: S32B