Daytime Running Lights

DICKSY

Reaction score
On my travels I've noticed recently a couple of A4 Avants (one was a 55 plate) with what I have since found out are dytime running lights on.

I have an 06 A3 S-Line TDI - can the same be done on my car and is it purely a case of wiring the lights to the ignition?

what headlights have you got now? xenon, halogens, post a frontal if not sure

DRL's can be added to the A3 with a loom & maybe headlight change dependent on what have already really.

8P a3s dont need any wiring - just a recode to use the headlamps as DRLs - i presume the same is probably true of later a4s and other cars - someone needs to plug in vagcom and have a look at the settings

Thanks for the replies.

I've got standard halogen headlights on it.

So are we saying they can be set via VAGCOM ?

I presume a main agent can do it?

8P a3s dont need any wiring - just a recode to use the headlamps as DRLs - i presume the same is probably true of later a4s and other cars - someone needs to plug in vagcom and have a look at the settings

Thats not entirely true, depends on your 8P year & what you have already, as with mine & Matts cars they dont/didnt have drl's & wont do unless headlamp change & a wiring loom, maybe this guys will gven its an 06 & also he has halogens so dipped & main are in 1 lense so spare used for drl, by my xenon is one lense & other is main beam, where as Matt's new headlights are bixenon in one lamp & drl's in spare

Thats interesting that the SB used the dipped beam when coded, as the dipped/main are in same lense & the spare lense is usually the DRL & the sidelights, so what was in the spare lense except the sidelights then?

not all are same, earlier cars depends on lights you have, bixenon only came in later on so freed up the spare lense for something else namely drl's, where as xenon used one & other was main beam, Matt had halogens & that didnt have drl's & our cars are practically identical interms of spec/year I believe except lights, he's upgraded to bixenon & now has drl's & you do have to install a new loom aswell, which isnt hard TBH, just time consuming, I'm just waiting to get some adaptive bixenons but not bought yet due to move to italy so will buy german spec ones.

Yes, but in the absence of Xenons with DRL and without having to spend a fortune to upgrade your halogens to Xenons to get DRLs you can use VAGCOM to enable scandinavian DRLs which just turn the dipped headlights on with the ignition.

I suspect this is what Dicksy was referring to in the original post.

Yes, but in the absence of Xenons with DRL and without having to spend a fortune to upgrade your halogens to Xenons to get DRLs you can use VAGCOM to enable scandinavian DRLs which just turn the dipped headlights on with the ignition.

Well that is true, depends if you just wanted DRL's or bixenons aswell like myself & Matt, but if you have just xenons this isnt possible I dont think, actually I wonder if coding it does turn on the xenons as you're dipped beam does, urm gonna go code later & advise.

I suspect this is what Dicksy was referring to in the original post.

I doubt it, he's just asking if his A3 can have, not if coding will do.

The outer lenses were dipped beam, the inner lenses were main beam.

Thats interesting, cause I thought the facelift A3 not 09 version but 05 onwards had drl's standard, learn something new everyday, I always thought the halogen dipped/main beam were in one lense & the drl/sidelights were in another on newer ones to accomodate DRL's now, oh well

Enabling Scandinavian lights also enables the rear lights I think whereas switching the DRL's on xenon cars doesent turn the rear lights on.

not all are same, earlier cars depends on lights you have, bixenon only came in later on so freed up the spare lense for something else namely drl's, where as xenon used one & other was main beam, Matt had halogens & that didnt have drl's & our cars are practically identical interms of spec/year I believe except lights, he's upgraded to bixenon & now has drl's & you do have to install a new loom aswell, which isnt hard TBH, just time consuming.

But my DRL's work different, because I retrofitted the OEM Xenons the DRL work as the main beam flash (when no lights are on), when the xenon dip beam is on and you put main beam on the drl's come on and the xenon main bema shutter. Still awaiting reply from kufatec

So what is the final conformation of this post :p

In other words, i have an 05 SB and would like to do this.:)

Is it possible to have DRL's or will it be just the main beam dipper.

Ohh, and what is the exact definition of a DRL ?

sorry i should have explained more:)

When i meant the defintion of a DRL, I meant in the law side and also the difference between using the dipped beam as DRL = might as well just turn your lights on
and Drl which come on and look like DRL and are at a differant brightness or anyhting else.....

i hope that makes sense :p

there is no law preventing you from driving with your dipped lights on during the day. I've been doing this for over 10 years as it makes my car more visible to oncoming traffic.

In fact, over here a couple of years back the police were running a campaign to encourage you to light up during the day.

you are right - you might as well just turn the lights on manually since the VAGCOM route is just turning on the dips anyway, but by enabling the DRL option the lights come on with the ignition so you don't even need to think about them.

In Austria, where DRLs are required by law, any vehicle not fitted as standard with DRLs has to run with dipped headlights on at all times.