1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave B's S3 Diary

[Dave B] Sep 15, 2013

1. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Thread takeover :)

2. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

LOL the french are invading the germans, oh the irony!

Westy likes this.
  3. cammage08

cammage08 Member

I think we need our own thread starting...

4. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Right, time to get this back on track. From an earlier post you'll see that I acquired these:

[​IMG]

They came with the carriers, some worn pads and some ok discs. From reading the brake thread I now need the following:

- Leon Cupra R lines (braided?)
    - Plain discs
    - Decent pads

The car won't see any track work so I don't need anything to racey! Where's the best place to source this stuff from? B5?

5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Bill can supply all including braided brake lines... pads wise there is no reason not to use DS2500's on a road setup as they are better than std pads... they will work more than once if you have to use them 'urgently' :)

<tuffty/>

[Dave B] likes this.
  6. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Except they are illegal.....;)

7. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

What's illegal about DS2500's? news to me!

8. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

In which case maybe we should all stop de-catting, fitting hids and generally modding cars... :)

..but in case there are those of us that like to live on the wild side of life here is some useful info...
    Ferrodo DS2500 'and EU Reg 90 - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum

<tuffty/>

Westy likes this.
  9. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

[Dave B] likes this.
  10. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Thanks chaps.

Westy - interesting info on the DS2000's, if they're much cheaper than the DS2500's then they'd probably do me TBH.

Suppose I should PM Bill and get some info on the damage then.

Westy likes this.
  11. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

We all know its bull**** but the fact is still there...knowledge is king..;)

12. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics Supporter Team V6 quattro Audi A8 Team Akoya saloon TDi Audi S8

13. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

I think Dave gets the idea don't you

14. Marshall878

Marshall878 Member

Also dont think an MOT tester or police man will be dismantling the brakes...unless theres an accident with brakes at fault of course

15. vroomtshh

vroomtshh Active Member VCDS Map User

I wouldn;t bother with DS2500s for road use personally.
    Genuine Brembo pads are very good and about £35 from opie oils.
    They also have more material than a ds2500 so last longer.

They'll fade eventually if you abuse them a lot, but are generally pretty good

16. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Thanks for the info gents, I've got some prices now to have a chew over. The first decision that needs to be made though is what colour to paint the calipers! For reference, it's a Ming Blue Pearl car. My current short-list is as follows:

Mexico blue:

[​IMG]

Monterey Blue:

[​IMG]

...or maybe Cadburys purple:

[​IMG]

Thoughts, any other ideas? The colours I'm avoiding are Red, yellow, orange, green, gold, silver and white :laugh:

17. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

I like the Mexico blue mate.

18. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Thanks Westy, I'm kinda liking the brightness of them too.

For ref here's a pic of what looks like a ming blue S3 with red Brembo's (not my car) on it.....anyone handy with photoshop fancy making those red calipers Mexico blue?

[​IMG]

19. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

What about trying a light grey colour? It will make them stand out but they'll still match the Ming blue nicely.

20. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

But then again, I do like the look of this:

[​IMG]

Decision decisions :unsure:

21. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Is this April fools? Surely black?

22. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

That last color looks decent actually. The others look a bit.... Nova.

23. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

Agreed. OEM+
    Although out of the colours i think ming blue favours the Cadbury purple

24. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

I do like that last blue also, not to keen on the first two tbh

25. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Good shout, maybe like this but with just the brembo stickers?

[​IMG]

LOL! I actually owned a Nova at one point :whistle2:

Sam_ likes this.
  26. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

I'm thinking lighter then that and non metallic otherwise it'll look silver, which you're trying to avoid ;)

27. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

We might have a winner:

[​IMG]

28. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

What about this with red Brembo stickers too:

[​IMG]

29. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Obviously I'm biased but the anodised Touareg finish is pretty nice...

[​IMG]

The anthracite does look nice though too. Always wanted my wheels that color...

30. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Sooooooo it's been about 7 months since I updated this thread, you can see why it's taken me 10 years to start one in the first place! However I do have good excuses, the V6 has kept me busy on sunny days:

[​IMG]

...and my daughter Eva was on 22nd August :):):):):)

When I have had the opportunity to tinker the S3 has had a full service including Haldex fluid and filter change and a new NSR caliper (as the original was binding), so now she's running great. No Brembo's fitted yet though....

Next on the agenda is finally getting back around to having it remapped. Following a positive phone call with @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. this morning she's, booked in for 7th October. Results to follow :cool:

Attached Files:

31. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

despite only one picture and it wasn't VAG, theyre is so much epic in that post :thumbsup:

[Dave B] likes this.
  32. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

What's going on with a remap Dave ?

I know you had a jabba sport remap originally, then badger had a play with your car, you've got R-tech on your avatar and now heading to Unicorn ??

I'm lost...

33. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

@Essflee, sorry, reading back I can see why it might be a bit confusing.

Last year I planned to go to R-tech but due to their distance from me, and the good things I've read about Unicorn (who are only 30 minutes from me) I thought I'd give them try. Rick seemed to know his stuff when we spoke on the phone and if there are any problems it's easy enough for me to get the car back to him again.

Fingers crossed for a good result.

34. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

That V6 is so nice. What's it like to drive?

35. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Honestly? It's an event in it's own right, and comparable to little else that I've driven. It's not blisteringly quick as it's quite heavy, but the attraction isn't in the numbers it's in the driving experience. The noise in the cabin is I'd imagine what crack is to an addict, there's a fat seam of torque on offer from 1500rpm to north of 8krpm and as the drive is through the rear and the wheel base is so short you're constantly focussing on getting the line right on the next corner before you enter it (god help you if you come off throttle mid corner). It commands 100% focus driving it, which I think is what makes it a good weekend car, it'd be pretty tiring driving it every day, not to mention hugely impractical!

Then there's the ownership experience, this car is not for you if you can't handle a bit of attention as you get noticed everywhere. I regularly have people driving up next to me on the motorway and winding their window down to have a conversation about it and take pictures - whilst we're still doing 70. People's reaction is firmly in two camps. One bunch who love it, these are generally male and can be of all ages. The other bunch are mainly women, I've had comments suggesting I fitted the bodykit myself (ROFL) and when bringing it home my wife asked me why I had bought an "Ali G" car.....

If you're ever up Manchester way let me know and I'll take you for a spin in it :icon thumright:

StaceyS3, Sam_ and Westy like this.
  36. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

I'll take you up on that offer Dave. I'm on my way now ;)

It is a car that I've always admired. I've only ever seen one on the road and I've only ever sat in one in a Renault showroom 10 years ago when I bought my 182. I'm sure that I'll never ever own one, mainly due to most of your reasons above. To be able to own one as a "toy" would be the only sensible way but the price these cars still cost to buy it must be an expensive thing to have sat in the garage most of the time.

You sir have a nice little car collection in the making. You'll need a quadruple gargle soon.

37. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

my dad works for Renault and when the phase 1 was launched he test drove a few and claims they are dangerous, he thought he was gonna write it off. Part of the attraction for me, its mental

38. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

That was one of the alternatives on my list when I bought my S3. A true modern classic. Went with the S3 for quality & practicality in the end, but still love the V6. The driving experience is so addictive with the engine on the back seat, but I'm not sure I fancy pressing on in the winter down wet country roads in one... :scared2:

39. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Honestly mate, the offer stands if you're ever up this way. I agree they have to be a toy realistically, I stretched pretty far (probably too far) to get one but with prices rising hopefully I won't lose out even if it just sits in the garage looking shiny. I'm not sure if I've posted earlier but the 205 is unfortunately now sold so it's just the S3 and V6 now. It was sad to see it go but I got good money for it as there was a queue of buyers fighting over it!

This! The phase 2 is more stable than the phase 1 but still a handful.

Agreed, this is not advised. I've inadvertently slid it both times I've driven it in the wet. It's pretty much dry use only now.

The S3 makes a great stable mate for it actually as it's quick enough, safe, all weather capable and a bit practical - not quite as practical as a B7 RS4 avant though............

Westy likes this.
  40. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's why I didn't bother with an RS4 Avant - they're just too practical. :think:

Westy likes this.