Dashcam positioning

ordi

Reaction score
Got a Nextbase 512G dashcam.

Tried positioning it in the A3 behind the rear view mirror, as seems to be prescribed for most dashcams, but there's insufficient room for it to be positioned there using the suction mount. Despite the dashcam (and mount) being quite compact. The closest I can get, is with the dashcam sticking out underneath the rear view mirror. But that seems to be illegal from what I've read. Anyone got any pics of how they've positioned their dashcam?

Which cam have you gone for?

Got a Nextbase 512G dashcam.

Tried positioning it in the A3 behind the rear view mirror, as seems to be prescribed for most dashcams, but there's insufficient room for it to be positioned there using the suction mount. Despite the dashcam (and mount) being quite compact. The closest I can get, is with the dashcam sticking out underneath the rear view mirror. But that seems to be illegal from what I've read. Anyone got any pics of how they've positioned their dashcam?
this is how mine is in my a3, mine sticks out quite far and never had any trouble from police and it passed the mot with it there so I assume it's legal, I think it's if u keep watching or messing with it during driving it becomes am issue.
80948b7aae7cc9504f659a76a8adb621.jpg
93e53ad7d57bd736460d4969573971f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Standard rear view mirrors sit closer to the glass and don't give much room to hide a cam behind them. I didn't like where mine initially sat because it was too far off-centre (rear cam visible in the mirror too :D)

D1

Also I didn't like how noticeable it was which I blame on having a light grey mirror...
D2

So I bought a black mirror, it drew no attention at all in through the glass....
D3

But 2 days later changed my mind about the front cam, because I wanted on that would be invisible to mechanics who drive my car when its at the garage (spends a lot of time there :() so I have a stealthy one
D4

Looks like part of the mirror from inside:
D5

I want a dash cam but do people smash windows for them, to try and Rob etc?

depends how you have them fitted and how discrete the camera is, and also whether you park your car in risky places.

If you have something like the "standard" dashcam (google "nextbase" "transend dashcam" or "Mivue 538") that hangs off your window from a suction cup with the power cord hanging loose from the dashcam to the cig lighter, these are EXTREMELY tempting for thieves, they just smash and grab and can sell them on with no issue at all

if cams are hard-wired they're less tempting because they cant be bothered pulling out all the wires from the fuse, they'd just take the cam itself on its own but even then chargers are so cheap it doesn't matter. if you get a cam that looks almost invisible, or one that looks like it was built into the car and looks like it cant be easily removed, its usually safe enough

This is the front camera of the KOONLUNG K1S looking quite discrete

View attachment 127245

These are now marketed as INNOV K1 now - http://www.innovv.com/the-k

How's the K1S been for reliability? have you had it long? I like the concept of it having a separate file protect button you can put somewhere convenient that you don't have to reach up to the cam to press!

is the Innov identical/rebranded or has it been improved?

How's the K1S been for reliability? have you had it long? I like the concept of it having a separate file protect button you can put somewhere convenient that you don't have to reach up to the cam to press!

I had it for about a year and had no issues - firmware updates seem to be coming out regularly, so it's being maintained.
I keep it in the glove box all of the time. When I need to look at anything, I can unplug it and use the inbuilt battery to power it while checking the recordings. Alternatively, you can take the SD card out and plug it into the computer.

is the Innov identical/rebranded or has it been improved?
Have no idea - externally, they look the same. I think it's the same unit.

I'd say that the biggest downside of this unit is the mic, which is pretty pointless, but it does not affect my use case.

Very detailed review of the original can be found here: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/3...r-hidden-1080p-dash-camera.html?currentPage=2

I saw techmoan's review a good while back and was considering the cam before the Innovv version came out, but after a while everyone who I heard about with the original K1s had too many issues with reliability

I think it was down to using cheap/slow SD cards in the end. I always used a Class10 card and it always seemed to work just fine. The thing that sold it to me was that I didn't have to keep unplugging it every time and dual camera support, which for the money was hard to beat at the time.

I've had my Koonlung K1s for nearly 2 years. Have both front and rear cameras mounted.

After 2 months it got the common problem of the micro USB connection for the front camera, on the control box going faulty, the new ones come with a plastic block that holds all the cables in place, stopping this.

I did have issue with it stopping recording, but replaced the memory car with a 64gb Samsung pro micro and have had no issues with recording since.

In the heat recently the unit kept resetting and was boiling hot, though it was boiling in the car as the AC needs regassing

Didn't know there were any firmware updates for it, will have to check that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: leshkin