Dash lights

Aldo

Reaction score
Just a quick questions, why do the dash lights on the speedo rev counter go dim and disapear in dark areas like under tree's etc?
Is it to prompt you to put your lights on or something?
I never realised they were light sensitive?

Si

I think that it is an anti-glare function, because the dash lights are nice and bright to be seen easily in sunlight, and this could be bright enough to distract when in shadow. Apparently it works quite well on Alpine roads with unlit tunnels that are too short to put your lights on in.

I think that the sensor is also the one that the climatronic uses to see which side the sun is shining from, that little button at the windscreen vent on the centre of the dashboard.

I'm open to correction on this one though..

Aldo said:
Just a quick questions, why do the dash lights on the speedo rev counter go dim and disapear in dark areas like under tree's etc?
Is it to prompt you to put your lights on or something?
I never realised they were light sensitive?

Si

got it in one. Yes, the dash illumination is light sensitive. Its to remind you to put your lights on in the dark.

Thanks for the replys, these cars are great! :D

You can change an adaptation channel in your instrument control module to leave the dash lights on all the time. That's what I've done and it works great. Not sure if applies to you guys on the other side of the sea.

Taken from Ross-tech's website:

17-Instruments: K1 -- KWP-1281
VAG-COM Works fine.

Tweak:
There are four lighting modes:
Mode 0: Nothing lit until ext. light on
Mode 1: Pointers lit all the time
Mode 2: Scales lit all the time
Mode 3: Pointers and Scales lit all the time
Mode is changed in Adapation Channel 19. Standard value should be 11000 (or something close). The first (left-most) digit is the lighting mode.

It'll still get brighter with more ambient light, I haven't seen a way to stop the brightness changes, other than drive with the dips on.