Dash lights have a mind of their own!

controlz

Reaction score
When headlights are off, or DLR running, my dashboard lights have a mind of their own. Sometimes they're of, sometimes bright, sometimes dim...! Any ideas if this is a setting dependent on how fast I'm driving?

I want them on constantly..

Thanks

Have you installed any after-market parts, OEM parts or completed any modifications to your car?

Is this ONLY happening when your head lights are off and/or DRL's on or does it do the same with the headlights on/side lights on?

Have you installed any after-market parts, OEM parts or completed any modifications to your car?

Is this ONLY happening when your head lights are off and/or DRL's on or does it do the same with the headlights on/side lights on?

Only when lights off or DLR. I haven't tried it with sidelights, but dash lights up as normal when main lights are on. No modification whatsoever, car is 100% standard.

When headlights are off, or DLR running, my dashboard lights have a mind of their own. Sometimes they're of, sometimes bright, sometimes dim...! Any ideas if this is a setting dependent on how fast I'm driving?

I want them on constantly..

Thanks

Helps to state year of car but with VCDS you can set the cluster lights to be on all the time. I have done this on my 2006 MY but don't know whether it is possible on later models.

The lighting is dependant on the ambient light in the cockpit and a sensor in the cluster increases the brightness when it's bright outside and reduces it when darker i.e. going into a tunnel.

If you have auto-lights then I presume if they have switched on the lights then it is dark outside and the cluster will be stable. When auto lights are not switched on then the cluster assumes it's daytime and adjusts it's lighting accordingly.

Helps to state year of car but with VCDS you can set the cluster lights to be on all the time. I have done this on my 2006 MY but don't know whether it is possible on later models.

The lighting is dependant on the ambient light in the cockpit and a sensor in the cluster increases the brightness when it's bright outside and reduces it when darker i.e. going into a tunnel.

I thought the light sensor only turned the lights 'on' or 'off' depending on the brightness outside, didn't realise it actually dimmed/brightened the interior lights as well, must have upgraded the light pack since I had it on my car.

I thought the light sensor only turned the lights 'on' or 'off' depending on the brightness outside, didn't realise it actually dimmed/brightened the interior lights as well, must have upgraded the light pack since I had it on my car.

There are two sensors if you have auto lights - one for the external lighting ( I think in the rear view mirror ) and one in the cluster.

What basically I am suggesting is that if the external lighting sensor detects it's dark outside and has switched the lights on then it over-rides the internal one. If auto lights are off then the internal sensor in the cluster takes over !

As Mike says, there is an actual light sensor within the cluster itself which adjusts accordingly, there is a setting to change this within instruments.

Its nothing to do with auto lights, sensor is independent of auto lights.

The instrument lights can be coded to stay on all the time regardless of the light switch position, you can still control the brightness with the adjuster on the switch. It's a simple coding in VCDS