Dash light dimmer

BigMack

Reaction score
Afternoon Ladies and Gents

It would seem that my dash light dimmer switch thingy isn't working anymore. My clocks are really bright, but my radio, heater controls and ambience lighting are seriously dim.
When I operate the switch, nothing happens.
Ive checked a number of fuses, but can't find anything directly related to this function. I haven't yet checked the plug/wiring on the switch yet, just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

53 A3 2.0 TDi if it makes any difference?

Cheers. Arron.

Check the connector behind to see if its popped out.

To get the headlight switch out, when at zero, push the dial directly in towards front of car, turn to 1 o'clock whilst depressed & pull the whole unit out whilst holding at this position.

The speedo has a light sensor built in, which maybe why its bright still.

Reactions: Artimus
Thank you for that nugget Nigel! it's always good to know these things - even before an issue arises. :icon_thumright:

Thanks Nigel, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the issue. Although I wasn't aware the unit could pop out like that. I thought I'd have to drop the front of the dash!

I can only assume its the switch itself that's broken. The headlight levelling switch isn't operating either. Either that, or a fuse somewhere. I guess I'll have to get the power probe out and check everything.

Thanks again!

Arron.

Open the switch & see if the tracks have burnt out.

You could always try bypassing the switch to test the circuit is fine.