Dash board light problems??

A19quattro

Reaction score
We have a 2001 A3 TDI. A few days ago when the car was opened up first thing in the morning instead of the red mileage etc displays coming on they would flash on and off. If we tried to start the car this would persist and the tacho and other needles would jump up and downa nd make a clicking sound. this would continue for a few seconds and then everything would go as normal. The car would then be fine for the rest of the day as if once warmed up the problem was fixed. One morning I opened the door and the lights started to flash so I just closed it again locked it, re-opened ot and it was fine but that only worked the once. Today things are worse, no red display at all, lights for the radio/heater display but not the headlamp switch, dimmer doesn't work, no instrument illumination but the needles are lit up continually, even with the doors locked, keys out etc. Did this most of the day ten suddenly on the way home everything sprung into life. I have checked fuses and relay connections and at times convinced myself i was getting somwhere but I am now sure I was dilluded. I also thought it may have been a low battery as I experienced somthing similar with another care but the battery and alternator have checked out OK. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I would appreciate any advice you can offer otherwise i think it's goodbye principles and probably a large wedge of cash and hello dealer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Thanks in advance
Vorshprungdork