DaneS3-rod install

badger5

www.badger5.co.uk
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.badger5.co.uk
Just some pix of the internals work in progress on DaneS3's motor, IE Rod install.

IMAG0318.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

surprisingly crack free k04 although gasket had had it.. AND, its blowing noise was'nt the gasket, but the EGT sensor which had fallen out of the turbo :p
IMAG0324.jpg

The internals of this engine are "caked in coked up oil" legacy of audi AVS servicing.. Oil pickup pipe partially blocked with debris.. Very dirty internals with coked up baked on oil crusting everything - ewwww

The internals of this engine are "caked in coked up oil" legacy of audi AVS servicing.. Oil pickup pipe partially blocked with debris.. Very dirty internals with coked up baked on oil crusting everything - ewwww

Shiny pistons though.... :)

BLING!!

Like I said to you last night dude, takes me back...

PS. I assume the laptop is working OK then....

hey hey! it's my car!

They really are caked aren't they, an advert for not doing longlife servicing if I've ever seen one. Ive only had it about half a year so it wasn't me:sadlike:

Any other problems Bill?

Hello Bill and or Anyone that Knows,

Looking on the Intergrated Engineering web site for Rods there are 2 Variations, 19mm and 20mm wrist pin size. I have a APY and think that the Size is 19mm. Does any one have a definative list??

Thanks

Cheers Welly,

not that I dont believe you but where do you get the info from??

Sounds like a definate answer!! You are sure about this??

It is good as they are cheaper than the other ones by a few bucks.

Just about to order them, do I order the standard or with extras??

Dude your in Cheltenham too! whatcha driving?
Well end game at the moment is the ideal hybrid set up, which I am planning on building towards over several months. It'll be FMIC or 3" DP sport cat and miltek next, then the other, along with the the Badger 5 3" TIP. Then it's building the parts up, injectors, hybrid turbo, hopefully this will have taken long enough for the JBS exhaust mani to come out and if I'm patient enough WMI. Then back to Badger 5 for installation and mapping.

Sure am mate, Got a Blue S3 with a knackered clutch, yours looks like a silver one from the Avatar. There seems to be a few of us around here. (must be the exclusive area we live in).

Sounds like the same route I am aiming for (and most), Got the FMIC, 3" DP, Miltek and a K04 in the garage for CR to play with.

I have always liked the idea of the IHI'ish route especially the TD0516g , but the figures that Welly and S3dave have a achived I have got to give that a go first, just for the easy of installation and I like copying people

Well we have Bill down the M5 a little way and with all the work that Bill, Welly and Speedy Steve have done it seems like a shame not to really :yes:

There does seem to be a few s3's about around us but they appear in waves, I don't see any for ages then I see 3 in 5 minutes lol.

I'll keep an eye out for you, you are spot on though I've got a silver S3 with a license plate that (almost) says Dane so you shouldnt miss me :thumbsup:

Sorry, yeah Speedy Steve was the first,

Your right it would be rude not to, its handy having few vocal forum members around so we pinch ideas from them (and sometimes learn by their mistakes).

I agree that they appear in waves, strange, everyone has a good gander at each other!! Quite funny.

Will give the next Silver S3 with a Dane'ish number plate a flash, mines a XJX for some unknown reason.

Defo 20mm for APY, Bill has a set in stock...

...and yours are now on Dane me old fruit... just a case of putting the old girl back together now :thumbsup:

<tuffty/>

yey! no more driving around in the sorry excuse for a car - micra.

Bill did you want to run it with your TIP on, I'm sure I could be persuaded into buying a Jetex from yourself as well if you wanted some thorough comparative results between a stage 1 with a Jetex and standard airbox.

Steady on... lol... not been put back together yet bud... sump and head to go back on lol...

<tuffty/>

Sorry, I'm a bit over excited I haven't driven the s3 properly in about 3 weeks - due to the blowing noise. Will I need to take it easy for a while after I get it back?

Little bit of a run in period but I suspect if Bill gets the car on the dyno if he is testing the TIP as you have asked then the running in will be done there :)

<tuffty/>

gotcha, I'll ask Bill how much dyno-ings been done when it's time to pick it up.

guys, i have no experience in rods and pistons yet...so ill have to ask you for the link into the specific item on integrated engineering website please. :(

got an AMK

hey hey! it's my car!

They really are caked aren't they, an advert for not doing longlife servicing if I've ever seen one. Ive only had it about half a year so it wasn't me:sadlike:

Any other problems Bill?

CV Gaiter split on OSF, your egt sensor had fallen out which was the exhaust blow sound.. Nowt else seen as bad aside from the sheer carbonised oil everywhere. I have replaced your oil pickup pipe for a new one.
when did it last have a cambelt, tensioner etc fitted?

gotcha, I'll ask Bill how much dyno-ings been done when it's time to pick it up.

hiya

I was'nt planning on running it on the dyno until its done about 500 post rebuild miles and had another oil change
we can play TIPs then and see what happens if you would like
regards
bill

CV Gaiter split on OSF, your egt sensor had fallen out which was the exhaust blow sound.. Nowt else seen as bad aside from the sheer carbonised oil everywhere. I have replaced your oil pickup pipe for a new one.
when did it last have a cambelt, tensioner etc fitted?

Thanks for that Bill,

Off the top of my head the reciept for the cambelt, tensioner etc was done in April '09 but I didn't own the car at that point.

hiya

I was'nt planning on running it on the dyno until its done about 500 post rebuild miles and had another oil change
we can play TIPs then and see what happens if you would like
regards
bill

If it would help you out Bill, I dont know whether some comparative figures would be useful for you, I'd be happy to bring the car back.

You've asked him if it needs a timing belt, but in the photo you can see the timing belts been cut thru with a knife, so he needs one either way!

yea, pertinant question to this being tensioner etc as the belt was not tight when the cover was removed which is not a good sign.
I never reuse belts, false economy. bit of superglue tho.. be good as new - lol

If it would help you out Bill, I dont know whether some comparative figures would be useful for you, I'd be happy to bring the car back.

Hi, they would be very usefull yes.. Once its got a few miles back on it and we change the oil again, we can let rip and compare on the dyno.

Hi, they would be very usefull yes.. Once its got a few miles back on it and we change the oil again, we can let rip and compare on the dyno.
Your on mate :thumbsup:

With regards to the Cambelt etc. what do you recommend?

I will check the tensioner.. see if its still got spring in it (it seemed like it had)
If its been done last year then it should be ok..
new belt required only then

20mm... Cheers Tuffty,

Bill, Tuffty mentioned you have them in stock? Is this always the case?? as with the bearings?

have you got a all inc ball park for all the work to replace the rods ie Rods, Bearings, gaskets, belts, water pump, oil pickup?

20mm... Cheers Tuffty,

Bill, Tuffty mentioned you have them in stock? Is this always the case?? as with the bearings?

have you got a all inc ball park for all the work to replace the rods ie Rods, Bearings, gaskets, belts, water pump, oil pickup?

I would PM Bill mate if I were you...

<tuffty/>