Dane's Hybrid Conversion Thread

So on the rollers we went last night, managed 252 at 16 psi but the actuator isn't playing ball and needs resetting (i think) so thats as far as it got last night as it needs to go back on the ramps.

BUT it sounds fast which is half the battle, lol

haha. ****** actuator! What's it doing? Not enough pre load?

Can Wellys final map in 338bhp form not be used on yours straight away? or is his ECU too different to yours?

haha. ****** actuator! What's it doing? Not enough pre load?

Can Wellys final map in 338bhp form not be used on yours straight away? or is his ECU too different to yours?

no
totally different ecu's
wellys is non wideband non egt, 512k ecu
danes is wideband, egt, 1mb ecu

chalk + cheese

Actuator is a right pain to access now .. someones stuck a larger tubular exhaust manifold in the way ! duh!
7psi is what its running, where it should have been at least 10psi.. frigging thing..

The preload was set fine on the bench but it this wasn't replicated on the dyno.

Wellys is a different ecu IIRC

What he said^

I'm on to thigh rubbing now lol

I think so, Bill knows the details though.

Westle the actuators are set to one of 3 different values (I think) and then Bill just changes it to what he wants it to be lol.

Westle the actuators are set to one of 3 different values (I think) and then Bill just changes it to what he wants it to be lol.

Bill has a small pressure gun that is used to apply pressure to the actuator. That way you can physically see when the actuator is opening. You can then adjust the actuator rod length to apply more or less preload to get it to open at more or less PSI.

Simples.

oh dear... and I thought this was a respectable well mannered forum... :lmfao:

You cowboy Cecil!

Bill has a small pressure gun that is used to apply pressure to the actuator. That way you can physically see when the actuator is opening. You can then adjust the actuator rod length to apply more or less preload to get it to open at more or less PSI.

Simples.

Ahhhh thanks. I was just wondering as my turbo is off for a standard refurb next week. Should I be asking Turbo Dynamics to set the actuator at a certain pressure?

fitted with hybrid fitted

k04-hybrid-dp-fitted-4.jpg

I thought the rod looked at the end of the adjuster on that pic compared to mine......

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dont know if that had been adjusted then of course...

Was it a new actuator fitted an refurb dude?

Actuator "was'nt" the one which went to them... I marked all components.. a.n.other returned! oh so typically from CR

rod length is a lot shorter than others, again, no consistency. It does start to crack open on its setting at 9-10psi tho which is what I bench set it to. Runs 7psi actual boost tho.. Now adjusted it to crack at 14psi, so another 4psi should get it to where I wanted it.

I thought the rod looked at the end of the adjuster on that pic compared to mine......

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dont know if that had been adjusted then of course...

yes the rod is short compared to the others I have seen. static crack pressure checked out at 0-10psi this morning, so I had'nt gone mad.. it was what I set it to.. but its actual opening pressure for boost was an actual 7psi.. Adjusted it so its now cracking at 14psi, so 4-5psi higher than before.. so hopefully we see boost come back to what its being requested to.

Mani glows well as we saw last night when "exercising it" - lol

at the minute steve I am starting with whats your current map.. n75 controlled.. no mbc at this moment.. we set your n75 map to be progressive and it runs just about a bar of boost request and this increases over 4.5krpm to 1.5bar

I have run danes just now... the actuators shyte.. Ordered a Forge one, which I need to collect in a couple of hours.
I checked the new preload crack pressure which is 14psi, but on actuator pressure only it only runs 8.5-9psi, only a couple up on before. Thats quite some discrepency in its opening pressure vs its actual running pressure. Now its all hot I cant get near it to alter it without 3rd degree burns.. Its going to have to wait until later this evening/later afternoon I think.

Now.. despite its weak actuator the boost is 16psi, rising to 18psi (should be 22-24psi) its 296bhp on the one run I just did. It bodes well power wise vs the boost its currently running.

plots showing the discrepency
Red is actual actuator pressure last night vs 10psi on bench
Blue is adjusted actuator pressure just now vs 14psi on bench
yellow is n75 on, and falling off requested boost
Oddly, 4psi change on bench is only about 1/2 that in actual boost change. Not sure how much extra preload I can get of of extending the rod more and more out.. not ideal. Forge one with yellow should give me the range I want and be consistent (hopefully, usually are)
actuator-comparison-n75on.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good so far Bill! one thing to remember was we mapped mine on normal unleaded that had been in the tank a while (at least a month). i need to free some pennys from the wedding fund and get down to you to see what its like know with Vpower in.

CR deserving the name I gave them there then, 296 isn't too shabby though!

looks like it only just reaches peak power before running out of revs too

Bill -- actuator behavior is impacted by two specs: its crack pressure and the rod lift necessary to achieve that given preload. So for example, you can have two differently configured actuators which are set to a 10psi crack pressure. One needs a rod lift of 2mm. The other requires a rod lift of 8mm. That amount of rod lift will indicate how well the two actuators can maintain boost. Simply put, your actuator might need a stiffer spring.

Bill -- actuator behavior is impacted by two specs: its crack pressure and the rod lift necessary to achieve that given preload. So for example, you can have two differently configured actuators which are set to a 10psi crack pressure. One needs a rod lift of 2mm. The other requires a rod lift of 8mm. That amount of rod lift will indicate how well the two actuators can maintain boost. Simply put, your actuator might need a stiffer spring.

100% agree doug
forge actuator req'd on this one so i can get it now and get on with it.
this actuator no matter how much preload is not going to get what I want.
just tried an mbc on it... increased initial boost but it wont hold... gate opening I think.

now going to let it cool down & back onto it later

Hmmm

You know, we're having a similar experience with our prototype as well. The turbo is not holding boost as it did when running the stock S3 manifold. We're still investigating, but if you're seeing the same thing then I'm a bit more confused.

EGTs are down, so we know the manifold flows well. So my current stab at a solution jives with yours: we need a bigger spring.

we will continue to compare notes/logs doug.
egt's 830'c on runs from last night. I dont remember the ones just now - not had time to review them. they will surely rise when it runs more boost
got another hybrid k04 car here also, an LCR which is running a jbs mani, so more comparison will be possible
speak soon
regards
bill

ok, last night was aborted.. Actuator I had collected had been built with 1/4" rod, not 6mm, so it would'nt fit thru the turbos wastegate actuator arm. got it replaced this morning, and will try again. 14psi crack pressure on bench, no preload currently. (yellow spring)

onwards

ok, last night was aborted.. Actuator I had collected had been built with 1/4" rod, not 6mm, so it would'nt fit thru the turbos wastegate actuator arm. got it replaced this morning, and will try again. 14psi crack pressure on bench, no preload currently. (yellow spring)

onwards

What a palava Bill. Bet you'll be happy to see the back of that silver S3 ;)

He'll be happy to see the back of it and ill be happy to see the front of it :)

Nice one Bill, The car will probably stop wanting to be flashed next... lol

He'll be happy to see the back of it and ill be happy to see the front of it :)

Nice one Bill, The car will probably stop wanting to be flashed next... lol

Good going thus far and more to come - it wouldn't be an S3 without the problems mate, take heart in that fact... :thumbsup:

I've decided the whole experience is rather like being dumped, but knowing that in two weeks time you get to bone Katy Perry, but in the meanwhile you have to spend time with a really ugly, slow girl... Sad to begin with and drags on a bit but you know it's going to get really good really soon!

No progress here either. The boost has been listless and unremarkable. I'd hoped the MBC was to blame, or perhaps the actuator preload. But last night we took the extreme step of disconnecting the actuator from vacuum and completely locking down the wastegate flap. (Do not try this yourself -- dangerous experiment). Despite these measures, the boost stubbornly would not cooperate. What's more, EGTs at the manifold are still very cool.

Our tester suggested a discreet leak at the head flange might be our culprit. Thinking he's probably right, we're pulling it for an inspection. :think:

you have pm doug.

egt's thus far are low, but its not running high boost as yet.. despite asking it nicely (and now not so nicely)

Forge actuator on there.. starts to open at 14psi on the car
run it with n75 electrically off - 7.5psi boost - wtf?!?!

n75 on and 1 whole 1bar of boost (just)
Code:
Group A:	'020				Group B:	'112		Group C:	'115			
	Idle Stabilization	Idle Stabilization	Idle Stabilization	Idle Stabilization		Temperature	Load		RPM	Load	Absolute Pres.	Absolute Pres.
TIME					TIME			TIME				
STAMP	°KW	°KW	°KW	°KW	STAMP	°C	 %	STAMP	 /min	 %	 mbar	 mbar

22.6	0	0	0	0	22.99	455	0	23.39	1640	76.7	1700	1060
23.81	0	0	0	0	24.19	460	0	24.61	1680	82	1720	1110
25.02	0	0	0	0	25.4	480	0	25.81	2200	91.7	2000	1210
26.22	0	0	0	0	26.62	495	0	27	2720	108.3	2030	1400
27.32	0	0	0	0	27.73	530	0	28.14	3360	152.6	2010	1880
28.52	0	0	0	3	28.91	570	0	29.32	4440	167.7	2210	2030
29.73	0	0	0	3	30.15	645	0	30.52	5440	178.2	2500	2070
30.84	0	0	0	3	31.25	690	0	31.65	6120	175.9	2550	2050
32.04	0	0	0	3	32.47	740	0	32.86	6680	160.9	2550	2030
33.27	0	0	0	2.3	33.68	770	0	34.07	7000	154.1	2550	2010
34.49	0	0	3	1.5	34.87	790	0	35.28	7200	154.9	2550	1970

this is turning into a right puzzle - allowing it to cool off before approaching it again.. again..

Last edited: