Dane's Hybrid Conversion Thread

Nice, this week is draggggggggggging!

pix of prototype k04 mani..
we will see how it fares..
not an ecconomic thing to make........ so dont expect many/any more......

enjoy.. (I know I have'nt)
tacked and test fitted in the bay.. This is V2 already..!
k04-b5mani-fitted-tacked.jpg

k04-b5mani-welded-1.jpg

k04-b5mani-welded-2.jpg

k04-b5mani-welded-3.jpg

k04-b5mani-welded-4.jpg

k04-b5mani-welded-7.jpg

Collector
k04-b5mani-welded-collector-5.jpg

k04-b5mani-welded-collector-6.jpg

Respect to those peeps who make tubular exhaust mani's - they are a huge amount of time to do.
Yes this is a 1st off/probably one off, and the iterations to get pipes to clear the k04 turbo are a massive PIA... and time consumer.

anyhows.. Its bigger bore than OE, consistent bore through the runners, and a combination of 1.25" and 1.5" sch10 - 316L pipe fittings. Runners in 1.25" sch10, collector & joiner to #3 & #4cyl in 1.5" sch10.

Phew.. had enough of weldinh stuff for a while..
plenty of metal splinters embedded in my hands and fingers.. doh!

the plot thickens

Woop, cheers for the update Bill, might pop across this evening to have a nosey if thats ok. As said before I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Looks good Bill glad to see it loks easy enough to bolt onto the turbo unlike the xspower one

some comparisons:
K04 vs this prototype I've made

Some Design aspects I wanted to preserve, having seen and handled a "few" other manifolds.
1. It has to be bolt onto cyl head without use of "special" spanners. All fixings are easily reached with simple extension bar and socket.
2. The turbo bolts must be accessible.. from the top.. This will use M10 Cap screws not stock bolts.. Stock bolts will fit but their heads and associated sockets are too big.. and they round pretty easy.
3. Runners, need to be minimum port size and maintained throught their run to turbo
4. Standard size OE exhaust gasket is utilised, not anything too large where gaskets are unavailable.

k04-b5-vs-stock-1.jpg

k04-b5-vs-stock-2.jpg

k04-b5-vs-stock-3.jpg

k04-b5-vs-stock-4.jpg

k04-b5-vs-stock-5.jpg

fitted with hybrid fitted (which needed to be clocked as it was'nt like std anyhow)
PipeWerx dp shown.
xs power one will need flange grinding (but dont they all!)

k04-hybrid-dp-fitted-1.jpg

k04-hybrid-dp-fitted-2.jpg

k04-hybrid-dp-fitted-3.jpg

k04-hybrid-dp-fitted-4.jpg

k04-hybrid-dp-fitted-5.jpg

I think it will have to be Bill if your not going to make a V3:sob:

making another will be expensive - unless it can be copied in a low cost country the hours req'd to make this vs what people are prepared to pay...... is the question...

pay enough and another can be made - ;)

Danes has egt so we will see that..
remembering remapped normal K04's already hit 920'c egt protection from their 250bhp levels ;)

So update time,

The manifolds on and the turbos on! (not as straight forward as it sounds)

The milltek is in position, the injectors are in, the wiring has been repaired to the abs sensor, the n249 has been deleted and Bill is currently putting everything back together then it's mapping and water meth time!

Not a lot to take pictures of,

But this is the milltek, some pretty big tail pipes, bigger than I remember - pretty cool though

a93487bc.jpg

500ce4f9.jpg

Lookin good Dane... Lookin good bet you can't wait can ya... Just like your first Christmas... Lol... Waiting for Bill to come down the chimney with his big sack lol...

Haha! Safe to say I barely have any finger prints left from rubbing my hands together

I don't think there's anything Bill would rather do less at this point Lol

...The manifolds on and the turbos on! (not as straight forward as it sounds)...

Yep... it was not the most entertaining afternoon but I can now see how to get a K04 off with the head in place... I look like I have been self harming by the state of my forearms lol...

I don't think there's anything Bill would rather do less at this point Lol

Amen to that brother!!!

<tuffty/>