Dane's Hybrid Conversion Thread

damn, you seen the plans... how did you manage that Sandip?
:p

:sly: i'm good at guessing lol

Danes has got the same virus as what Welly had, luckily Welly has found a cure. Dane has got the bug for power, i saw his car at Inters and well.....put it this way, he has a heavy right foot! Was fun to watch his S3 on the 1/4mile :)

Will you be at Audis In The Park or Edition38 Bill?

unlikely - too busy working all the time

You need to take a break Bill.....hey if you like you could even bring your new UV smoke test thing and check all our cars for leaks (group buy on uv smoke testing) lol :happy:

Day out with Audisport people and also a bit of work.....

small update as Danes is being reverted to stock K04, stock ex mani again today
K04 hybrid now off the car

See the play in the shaft. Remember it started to smoke which was Game Over as far as all of are concerned.... 1st CR hotside (chinese) goes faulty, then new F23 also plays up.......... Arghhhhhh!)

Thats a lot more play then the 86k mile std k04 going back onto Danes.
Very dissapointing.

youtube below.
‪excessive play k04 hybrid2‬‏ - YouTube

Wow, that is a lot of play considering. That turbo was only on danes car for a few days wasnt it?

Wow, that is a lot of play considering. That turbo was only on danes car for a few days wasnt it?

sadly yes.
when it started to piddle out smoke it was only on 14psi actuator pressure, n75 electrically off to check its setting.. We never got further than that when the smoked started.. :(

Reactions: kelk11
its seen some road miles yes.. pushing out a masshoosive 279bhp no less..
not many tho obviously as its never been running right..

the final straw being it starting to smoke on top of it just not making hybrid power..

There is no issue on oil supply.. lines feed/drains are checked, fluid is ample in pressure and flow.. Std one was fine, CR one was fine, this one had an issue, and old K04 one back on will also be fine.. Its just bought the farm for some as yet unknown reason.

Doug/FT is supporting the return/refund of this unit, so no issues with FT/doug, but this run of bad luck with hybrid k04's has taken its toll on all of us. He is unhappy with the outcome also.. Its all round dissapointing.

I seriously hope I don't run into these issues Bill!

Stealing entirely on all your experiences, I'm hoping to replicate a similar setup to Wellys original, but at a much lower, hopefully trouble free boost level!

Still feel gutted for you all though :( was looking forward to seeing how the FT performed.

Holy smokes that's a lot of movement and I thought my hybrid install was difficult. If you don't mind me asking for reference, I can see the movement clear as day, what part of the turbine are you using as your contact point to show this up, i.e wiggling, the nut on the turbine?

Some how missed this, that's a lot of play isn't it

Holy smokes that's a lot of movement and I thought my hybrid install was difficult. If you don't mind me asking for reference, I can see the movement clear as day, what part of the turbine are you using as your contact point to show this up, i.e wiggling, the nut on the turbine?
yes holding nut on turbine

std k04 is on and no surprise... no smoking - quel surprise
(oil starvation was not and is not the issue/cause of failure)

Back running 223g/s airflows on its stock k04.. F23 was 230-235g/s, CR/2283-k04 was 247g/s before its hotside went south

Last edited:
Really sorry to see this, I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that my MD421 doesn't have a similar weakness.

hopefully Doug can learn from this to build a more robust hybrid. Glad to hear they refunded you.

Really sorry to see this, I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that my MD421 doesn't have a similar weakness.

hopefully Doug can learn from this to build a more robust hybrid. Glad to hear they refunded you.

To be fair to doug, he's a very good honerable guy, but the turbos are built for him not by him.. So not in such a dissimilar position to anyone who buys product from a turbo manufacturer.... Maybe, they goof every now and then.. We have seen the issues on the CR suppied unit with failed housing etc.....

MD421 should be good.. Can you confirm its genuine BW parts used on it, housings etc?

Refund is due.. not received yet until I get the F23 sent back and know £ to send etc.

Give us some feedback about that turbo!!! :D

IMO just use a suitable garret turbo for the level of power you want

MD421, is the same as JBS05 (I believe its the same thing) will boost creep on a stock housing from its 9psi - 23psi on LCR I have dyno'd/mapped etc
otherwise I believe its a 2283 compressor, RS6 turbine, no clip

IMO just use a suitable garret turbo for the level of power you want

After seeing what happen to you, I've done more than half way to purchase one CTS Garrett kit.... Not thinking to turn back to the hybrid idea!!!

on the road test, logging briefly checking it in real ife earlier..
225g/s from a stock k04 and manifold. none too shabby

Reactions: Inertiauk
none too shabby at all, how much ign advance is that with Bill?

mid teens advance. I have left it where it was.. cyl4 is pulling some as usual.
rest of them almost nothing so some margin to add.. Run it a while and see how it adapts.. we can always add some into it.
meth is running on same settings as before

I have a v1(surgio) sitting in the shed, only 3k on it and it was an original new KKK unit hybridized, quit a lot of play on it also considering, will get a vid up shortly for you guys.

It's official, standard k04's are gay.com I barely kept up with an evo 6 an barely overtook another s3, it may be only a few horses down, on the hybrids, the delivery from the hybrids makes for such a more exciting drive!

Some one lend me £3k! Lol

Reactions: Inertiauk
It's official, standard k04's are gay.com I barely kept up with an evo 6 an barely overtook another s3, it may be only a few horses down, on the hybrids, the delivery from the hybrids makes for such a more exciting drive!

Some one lend me £3k! Lol

Luckily I've not had the chance to drive a hybrid/BT only been out with Welly. I dont want to drive one as i'll end up wanting one! You're getting the same g/s readings as me bud and I still find mine reasonably exciting ;)

I went out with Welly, with the turbo I now own.....

I knew instantly what I had to do.....

Yeah, it's not slow, but reasonably exciting isn't going to cut it. Lol

Go big or go home! Is my new motto.

Interestingly I think my desire for more power stems from a shot gun ride in Wellys monster...

Go big or go home! Is my new motto.

Interestingly I think my desire for more power stems from a shot gun ride in Wellys monster...

I'm Committed now im having it medium lol, but what is the jump like from hybrid to BT? You will already have FMIC, Injectors & Rods, so is it just turbo, manifold, downpipe and Map ?

The list is,
Turbo
External wastage
Exhaust mani
Even bigger injectors
My piston rings could do with replacing
Super tech valves
Cat cam valve springs ( to be able to rev to 8.3k)
Custom down pipe
Mapping

Followed by a sem intake mani when funds allow afterwards.

There's probably more too

The list is,
Turbo
External wastage
Exhaust mani
Even bigger injectors
My piston rings could do with replacing
Super tech valves
Cat cam valve springs ( to be able to rev to 8.3k)
Custom down pipe
Mapping

Followed by a sem intake mani when funds allow afterwards.

There's probably more too

what size injectors ?, is the 8.3krpm needed, or just something you want to do? Sounds a bit scary in an Audi, VTEC Just kicked in yo!

what's happening with your 550cc injectors Dane?

Unless they're going back to Bill, you might have a buyer for them too ;)

PS I miss my 7.8K rev Limit and the popping as you change at it :eyebrows:

Lol, im hoping i get some pops/bangs on mine. What turbo are you aiming to get Dane?

Lol, im hoping i get some pops/bangs on mine. What turbo are you aiming to get Dane?

It'll be an externally wastegated GT30R of Bills choosing, if we do it, it's an awful lot of money in doing and in insuring.

exhaust mani, 3 inch dp, decat and non res miltek = growly poppy awesomeness.