Dane's Hybrid Conversion Thread

Dane

Had an 8L S3, a B5 RS4 now I have a B8 S4
Reaction score
I have been applying subtle modifications to s3 since I bought it back in June 2010. Oh wait no... I mean, Ok - well it's finally happened, no that ones been used too. I've read these threads so many times... lol.

Right, so I've done some bits and bats to my s3 over the past 10 months all with the final goal of going for more power. Having seen the gains Welly achieved with his hybrid I have decided I will be doing the same thing... literally! The difference is I'm no mechanic the work will be carried out at Badger 5. I literally can't be trusted!

Firstly a big thank you to Bill, Welly & Tuffty for there help, patience and parts.

Secondly some back ground on my car;

Suspension;
It's lowered on Bilstein B8 dampers and Apex springs and this is how it sits today.

2f5615b4.jpg

It used to be on Eibachs but they didnt really lower it, fantastic ride quality but still quite boaty. The Apex's are lower, and make the whole car feel more sporty when pushing it, whilst maintaining a good standard of ride comfort for every day use.

Brakes;
Brembo GT junior Kit with ferrodo D2500, 323mm groved discs, Badger 5 Braided lines and Motul RBF 600 fluid.

untitled.jpg

These were a bargain from JoJo - cheers bud!

Engine;
Intergrated Engineering Rods replaced by Bill the thread can be found here;

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/107618-danes3-rod-install.html

Badger 5 3 inch Turbo Intake Pipe with a Badger 5 custom map this thread is here;

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/109356-3inch-tip-tests-danes-s3-today.html

The headlines being;
Before badger 5 TIP - 251 bhp
After badger 5 TIP - 270 bhp
With badger 5 TIP and map - 278 bhp and a nice big torque plateau.

The Plan;
The car is booked in at Badger 5 at the end of the month for the installation of the following;
CR Hybrid Turbo,
Hi-flow exhaust manifold of some description...
Pipewerx 3 inch downpipe,
Pipewerx Decat,
Miltek non-resonated decat back,
Bosch 550cc injectors,
AH fabs Front Mount Intercooler (painted black with some bigger outlets....)
AEM water meth kit, this will be mounted in the boot.

All of these parts apart from the Miltek and AEM kit will be second hand from Welly and the AH fabs FMIC is Tuffty's old cooler so again big thanks to them, it has made the project alot cheaper!

The hybrid is going to be sent back to CR to bring it up to date with the most recent specs.

Mapping will be done by Bill aswell so we'll have to see what I get from my small port AMK in comparison to Welly's big port, but only time will tell!

Pictures will be added as and when stuff happens, I wasn't planning on starting this thread till closer to the time but I'm too excited lol.

Me too! if its anything like Welly's was I will be a happy man, that thing made me giggle like a little school girl.

Lessons learned from Welly's will be applied as well, I.e. running the N75 in parrellel with a Forge UNOS. The WMI installation in the boot should be interesting too.

Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for a ride in your car then Dane, this should be interesting... I need to get my act together, my S3 has been the same spec for years, as I hardly use it!

Nice one good luck with it matey, cant wait to see how it goes

v1.2 is clipped turbine wheel...
reason, on another smallport car, the turbo surged on initial spool, so a V2 was done, whcih cured the spool, but also lost some airflow and lost its response.. so v1.2 is original comp wheel and clipped turbine.. so sacrifice some spool, for some more flow, and help move the surge line out of the way of its operating level.

Good luck Dane. I wanted Tuffty's FMIC though you bitch ;)

Sorry dude :whistle2:

Most of the bits are gonna be second hand asn member parts, it's like asn's love baby lol.

I can't actual wait, I've weighed up getting a credit card quite a few times this past week. :eyebrows:

I picked all of the Welly parts tonight and dropped them off a Bill's, to save me driving them to and from Cheltenham, which was quite exciting, the bumblebee was coming along nicely...

The long drive home must be fun though?:racer:

Good luck with it dude - lets see what can be extracted.

That's been a good turbo for me, very very pleased with it overall. I've had my ups and downs getting there - hopefully you can learn from my experiences.

Good power, very good output, great driveablility.

Good look mate hope all goes well for ya my hybrid is on now feels alot better in every way

Good luck Dane, hope it all goes well. I will be making a visit up to Bills soon, should be getting some similar work done to you, will be a good comparison.

Cheers chaps, the days are ticking down! Can't wait!

So it would appear my dad's getting an '07 XKR... Im just looking around on the tinterweb for performance and weight figures, but what do people think, could I give him a nasty suprise when finished, anyone had a go against one?

I swear welly did one, he posted a vs thread about it, check his threads.
Thatl be awesome if you destroy him. Does he know what your doing?
Thwyre big fat jags so i wouldnt worry too much, about 400 HP but prob 2 ton of car. And rear wheel drive.

I swear welly did one, he posted a vs thread about it, check his threads.
Thatl be awesome if you destroy him. Does he know what your doing?
Thwyre big fat jags so i wouldnt worry too much, about 400 HP but prob 2 ton of car. And rear wheel drive.

Wasn't the XKR sadly, it was the XK. Although I did slay it!!

I guess he'll probably pull away, thats an awful lot of power and torque, but If I can get him stationary it might be a different story if slightly short lived. lol

My experience from working at Jag with an S Type R with the same (but a little less powered) 4.2 V8 400bhp is that with the traction control off even in the dry and auto box. Planting the pedal on the spot will cause it to spin up like a bitch causing lots of smoke lol. With TC on it limits it loads too so from a stand still you`ll pull ahead quickly but once it gets going it`d probably be a different story!

lol theyre going on holiday on Saturday and he's supposed to get it this week. So it's just going to be sitting there on the drive, all shiney and powerful looking at me... It's going to be hard to resist but I dont think I'm brave enough to face the consequences lol.

the R is quick a remap and shortning of the pulleys turn it in to a very quick car.

Right, so minor set back, the egt sensor hole in the housing has been welded up by CR like so

a7ca22e3.jpg

So it's going back to them and then when we get it back well be in business.

So in the meanwhile we got the front mount on.

f609c0d7.jpg

11e2c42c.jpg

9b32e0dc.jpg

11fa7af0.jpg

Left hand side piping

d0016213.jpg

Car horns and bracket

24535e0e.jpg

Right hand side piping gap

bed88bde.jpg

And the pipe to bridge the gap

146de20f.jpg

Where the piping sits behind the bumper

a3175c60.jpg

And how it looks from the front

70898280.jpg

Big thanks to Tuffty and Bill for sorting it out for me, can't wait for the rest to go on!

Front mount with out the bumper

ab613d47.jpg

And the clipped wheel on the turbo

ba4be039.jpg

why on earth would they have welded the egt hole up. so they've done that when you took it off welly and sent it to them to be updated?

As it was Wellys old Hybrid it wouldn't have had an EGT port or the need for one... the turbo was returned from CR after modifying with a new turbine housing which they blocked off thinking it was destined for a non EGT engine...

<tuffty/>

As thin as me tufty! Lol

Reactions: <tuffty/>
turbo's off now with DHL to CR for new housing with egt port.
its a drop off not remembering wellys did'nt have it... so its got new housing as part of its refurb and they welded up the new housings egt port! simply screwing in an m12x1 bung would have been better, which has been suggested, so one type of new housing can be used for all fitments. welding is not easily reversable.
manifold jig parts and flanges should be completed before the end of the week, so work on that can be commenced.