1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dampers and Springs or Coilovers ?

cecilthesausage Feb 22, 2011

1. cecilthesausage

cecilthesausage ...It's Never Finished...

I am just about to invest in new suspension. and just wondering what everybody is using..... Im more or less being pushed towards Billy B8,s and H+R Springs...... What does everyone else think ?

2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Im a coilover fan, my kws are very forgiving.... the B8s+ h&r combo seems popular what ride/looks are you after

3. cecilthesausage

I use my car a lot with my job I work all round the country and want something that is comfortable but will tighten everything up at the same time. I would like her to sit a little bit lower but not to low, your kw,s are the all singin all dancin 1,s arent they Dave ?

4. s3dave

There great for the motorway...there not crashy on the street, but firm I think KWs are the middle of the road there are more expensive ones....

5. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

I'm considering some AP Coilover 's in the summer, replace the old shocks and give it a better stance :)

Depends if the front can be adjusted enough to still give me nice even tyre wear. I do too many miles to be munching though tyres every month on the inner edge

6. s3dave

you should be able to get everthing bang on, on an s3, i had 4 wheel geometry done and it transformed the car

7. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

Thats good to know, I know I can get tie bars for the back as I had them on my old S3, I was about to say some guy on here makes them now and realised its you Dave haha

It was more the front ball joint adjustment I was worried about, I know theres a bit of adjustment available but wasn't sure how effective it would be at 35mm ish.

Whats yours lowered by?

8. s3dave

Its around 55mm and the adjustment on the front ball joints were plenty, they got it 100% (had to move the chassis 1.5mm)

9. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

Sounds good.

I'm hoping for coilovers and spacers, bit of paint first though.

10. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

I think if its for everyday uise, go for the billys. Cant see coilovers giving as good of a ride. Im tempted by some myself, as im not really after adjustability, just decent quality damper

11. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

I'd go for springs and dampers too,

I had coilovers fitted on my old A3 and the first week I drove the car I thought what had I done, completely ruined the ride comfort I had, however I did get used to them and the car handled like on rails, but I wouldn't put any on the S3, would be B8's and H&R's going on other peoples description of ride comfort aswell as handling.

12. Dane

Dane Had an 8L S3, a B5 RS4 now I have a B8 S4

B8's and Apex springs here.

13. S3 Nattie

S3 Nattie Quattro ist für sissies

I think if your willing to spend the price for that spring/damper combo, you should be able to get some quality coilovers for the same price which i would go for.

14. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Personally I'll be going for a springs and dampers kit. I've been out in an S3 on AP coilovers and it handles well but for the driving i do the standard suspension is fine so I'll be ok with a half decent kit. Going for the KW kit.

15. cecilthesausage

It looks like Billy B8,s and H+R Springs it is then. Cheers Lads much appreciated

16. JS1500

JS1500 Howdy

You won't be disappointed with that.
    I believe the Eibach springs give a slightly softer ride, not sure about the Apex, but the H&Rs are fine for me.
    Firmer than standard but still more comfortable somehow (must be magic).