Damp carpet

gaz71

1.8T Quattro Sport AJL
Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone help.I have recently noticed that the carpet in the rear passenger footwell is getting really wet. It is the one behind the drivers seat.I have had a look but cannot see any obvious reason or leak.Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?Thanks,Gareth

any other carpets wet?
any side of the carpet wetter than others to help indicate the location of the leak?
What does the damp smell like?

any other carpets wet?any side of the carpet wetter than others to help indicate the location of the leak?What does the damp smell like?
No other carpets affected.Seems to be pretty uniform in dampness.Smells a bit like cat's ****, although I'm sure that cats are not the problem!

No other carpets affected.Seems to be pretty uniform in dampness.Smells a bit like cat's ****, although I'm sure that cats are not the problem!

No trapped cats recently then?

Only thing I can think of it leaking heater matrix, but that would effect the front carpets more than the back.
Leaking rear lights, but that would effect the boot as well.
Leaking door trim?
Blocked sun roof drain tube?

Had this on a mates A6 turned out to be the seal around pollen filter, think the water was traveling through the vents and entering out in the rear.

the front carpet on the a6 was dry even checked under the front carpets just the rear was wet, so had to be going through the rear air vents.

Once the seal was replace (the old one was shot) the water stopped.

Very ture, that was the first place I went to but nothing it was just about dry, also it only happen if the front end was sloping upwards!

You really have to lift the carpet in the front to see if it's wet as the foam underneath is really thick (like 3 inches), so it can be soaking underneath but bone dry on top. 99% it is blocked drain holes, just push out the rubber grommets so they won't get blocked again. It can even be dry underneath the battery as the water will eventually drain away but with a big downpour they can't cope and it overflows into the cabin and underneath the carpet.

identical to mine,
front dry, rear **** wet through
push a long srewdrive down beside battery to push out the stupid grommets, then watch weaks of old cat **** flavoured water drain away.
you can do it without pulling the battery even but that lets you clean **** out as well

Managed to get a look at the car. Drain holes were clear but the one under the brake servo had been pushed down into the hole. After much struggling (and removal of lots of other bits) I have managed to retrieve it and get it fitted as it should be. Just got to dry the carpet out to see if the issue is fixed, although things do look promising as it ****** down yesterday and the carpet doesn't have a puddle on it :eek:)

Really you should just remove the grommet to ensure free draining. Why they were ever fitted at all is beyond my thinking...

Yes, don't refit the ****** things they are the cause of the issue. The second time mine flooded they weren't blocked with leaves or debris, they were blocked with a fine silt.