Dam I didn't clean the discs before I fitted them!!!

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Dam just read somewhere you should clean discs before you fit them with brake cleaner to get rid of the anti rust coating or oil... I didn't! Had them for 50miles and there still bedding in.... Is it still worth doing or could I have really ruined there life... There black diamond grooved... :(

I'm sure another 50 miles of bedding in(to make it 100) will do the same job, they have an anti corrosion coating of some sort to protect it whilst in storage. Wouldn't both with the brake cleaner is it's already fitted.

Phew really? I hope your right JoJo as the bite after 50miles still isn't great at all and im paranoid that's why.... (not that im hammering them)

Although came across this from Black Diamond and they say it's a 250mile bedding in process!!!! http://www.blackdiamondperformance.com/discs.htm (Wish they'd include these instructions in the box!)

ive changed my brakes myself twice now on the S3 and ive never cleaned them before driving and last time i even left the dirty finger marks and brake dust all over them...

no difference at all. They do take a couple of hundred miles to properly bed in.

Think about it, is a small film of dust / anti-rust coating really going to make much of difference when asbestos and steel are grinding together at a million rpm and a million degrees ?

dont worry about it.

:o.k:

Thanks guys that's put my mind to rest. :thumbsup: To be fair I didn't notice any grease on them while I was handling them hence why I didn't think to. Have some pics will post them up later if anyones interested.

Depends how you bed them in - just fitted new EBC ultimax and DS2500s and followed usual bedding in procedure recommended for those pads (find quiet dual carriageway and do a series of 15-20 near stops - progressive brake pressure and speeds) till almost faded to nothing. Then 10-15 mins on motorway without braking to cool discs down. Then get home carefully (as you'll have very little brakes now), leave overnight, and have fantastic brakes first thing in the morning.

Followed this twice now with no probs and no need to wait ages to bed in. Certainly gets rid of those protective coats as well!!

yeh looking forward to the pics i wanna have a go at changing mine myself when im ready do u need special tools or anything

was due to get my tarrox g88s and ferodos but the discs didnt turn up! great!

ive changed my brakes myself twice now on the S3 and ive never cleaned them before driving and last time i even left the dirty finger marks and brake dust all over them...

no difference at all. They do take a couple of hundred miles to properly bed in.

Think about it, is a small film of dust / anti-rust coating really going to make much of difference when asbestos and steel are grinding together at a million rpm and a million degrees ?

dont worry about it.

:o.k:

Pretty sure asbestos is band now-a-days

Asbestos was band in all building built from 2000 onwards so i'm pretty sure that goes for brakes etc, its illegal and a flamin nightmare if your in the trade

I always use brake cleaner to wash off the oil-based protectant which is used on new disks and give the pad faces a light rub if they seem dirty / contaminated. I suppose the heat from the friction will have burnt the majority of the protectant away by now so nothing to worry about but if the brakes don't feel like they are now working as effectively as they should be then I would take the pads out, deglaze them using sandpaper and liberally spray brake cleaner over the disks.