1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daft looking wheels on my A3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by ZapCity, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ZapCity

ZapCity New Member

[Jul 14, 2008]
    I managed to pick up a set of genuine RS6's (18" 8.0Jx18H2 ET43 Ronal 1291 - from an A6 - only £100 so worth a try) recently for my A3 ('05 TDI Sport -17" Stars 7.5Jx17H2 ET56 Ronal 1132).

Having looked at a few threads, I calculated that they should fit OK (extend 17mm more using a wheel calculator) as others had fitted them, but before buying tyres and fitting them, I thought I would try one on the front of the car.

To my surprise the wheel looked daft as it stuck out beyond the wheel arch. Now I know it didn't have a tyre on and the car was jacked so I won't get the true look, but the wheel did seem to stick out much further than I expected.

Has anybody else fitted this size of wheel to an A3? Most pictures are taken side on so don't show how far the wheel extends.

I wanted to avoid buying the tyres and then finding out they still look daft.
  2. S3IZZO

S3IZZO Guest

[Jul 14, 2008]
    They will fit very easily - i'm using 19 x 8.5 ET27, so mine are wider and fit further from the hub.

Go with 225/40/18's :)
  3. 1wheelonly

1wheelonly cabriolet VCDS Map User

[Jul 14, 2008]
    i have this size on my cab S3IZZO and they really pull in which allows the rim to be more exposed, a nice look but not nice near any kerbs!
    arent they ment to have 235's.
    cheers
  4. Kev_M5KPL

Kev_M5KPL Member

[Jul 14, 2008]
    i think the 19" ones are only 235 as mine are 235/35/19 et 54
  5. ZapCity

ZapCity New Member

[Jul 17, 2008]
    I've found a thread where 'rabs' has fitted 19" x 8.5" ET48 wheels (235/35 tyres) to his A3. This gives effectively the same result as using the 18" x 8.0" ET43 wheels (225/40) I am looking to fit.

Using an online simulator (http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp), this shows that the wheels on both set-ups will stick out 18 mm (0.7'') further than the original set-up.

'rabs' has kindly included some pictures of the side of his car :salute:, showing that the wheels fit very nicely and fill the arches very well. If my wheels look half as good as 'rabs' set-up then I will be a very happy bunny.

'rabs' thread: http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=53584&highlight=et43

Ordered the tyres from Camskill this morning, so can't wait to give them a try. If they look the part, then begins the lowering process!!
  6. ZapCity

ZapCity New Member

[Jul 19, 2008]
    Just an update for anybody else wishing to fit the 18" x 8.0" ET43 wheels to their car.

I had the wheels (genuine RS6's from an A6) and tyres (Falken ZE912 ZIEX - only £58 each from Camskill) fitted yesterday, and I have to say what the hell was I worried about!

As most people have said, they look absolutely spot-on. The fronts are in line with the arches and look just right. Very glad I didn't go for the ET54-56, as I would have had to fit spacers to get it looking right.

I have attached some pictures to show how it looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big thanks to 'mattandrew', 'dkingy11' and 'Deanphoto' :thumbsup: and all who have advised. Now I need to get it lowered as it looks like a Q5!!

The gap between arch and tyres is approx. 50-55mm as shown below: -

[​IMG]

I'm not fitting coilovers just lowering springs, so I was intending to fit the Eibach Sportlines or H&Rs. This should lower the front by 30-35mm and the rear by 20-25mm, thus reducing the gap between wheel and arch to approx. 20mm front and 30mm rear.

Anyone had any experience with these springs, it seems a radical drop to me, but it's got to come down and quick!!