1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daft looking wheels on my A3

ZapCity Jul 14, 2008

1. ZapCity

ZapCity New Member

I managed to pick up a set of genuine RS6's (18" 8.0Jx18H2 ET43 Ronal 1291 - from an A6 - only £100 so worth a try) recently for my A3 ('05 TDI Sport -17" Stars 7.5Jx17H2 ET56 Ronal 1132).

Having looked at a few threads, I calculated that they should fit OK (extend 17mm more using a wheel calculator) as others had fitted them, but before buying tyres and fitting them, I thought I would try one on the front of the car.

To my surprise the wheel looked daft as it stuck out beyond the wheel arch. Now I know it didn't have a tyre on and the car was jacked so I won't get the true look, but the wheel did seem to stick out much further than I expected.

Has anybody else fitted this size of wheel to an A3? Most pictures are taken side on so don't show how far the wheel extends.

I wanted to avoid buying the tyres and then finding out they still look daft.

2. S3IZZO

S3IZZO Guest

They will fit very easily - i'm using 19 x 8.5 ET27, so mine are wider and fit further from the hub.

Go with 225/40/18's :)

3. 1wheelonly

1wheelonly cabriolet VCDS Map User

i have this size on my cab S3IZZO and they really pull in which allows the rim to be more exposed, a nice look but not nice near any kerbs!
    arent they ment to have 235's.
    cheers

4. Kev_M5KPL

Kev_M5KPL Member

i think the 19" ones are only 235 as mine are 235/35/19 et 54

5. ZapCity

ZapCity New Member

I've found a thread where 'rabs' has fitted 19" x 8.5" ET48 wheels (235/35 tyres) to his A3. This gives effectively the same result as using the 18" x 8.0" ET43 wheels (225/40) I am looking to fit.

Using an online simulator (http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp), this shows that the wheels on both set-ups will stick out 18 mm (0.7'') further than the original set-up.

'rabs' has kindly included some pictures of the side of his car :salute:, showing that the wheels fit very nicely and fill the arches very well. If my wheels look half as good as 'rabs' set-up then I will be a very happy bunny.

'rabs' thread: http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=53584&highlight=et43

Ordered the tyres from Camskill this morning, so can't wait to give them a try. If they look the part, then begins the lowering process!!

6. ZapCity

ZapCity New Member

Just an update for anybody else wishing to fit the 18" x 8.0" ET43 wheels to their car.

I had the wheels (genuine RS6's from an A6) and tyres (Falken ZE912 ZIEX - only £58 each from Camskill) fitted yesterday, and I have to say what the hell was I worried about!

As most people have said, they look absolutely spot-on. The fronts are in line with the arches and look just right. Very glad I didn't go for the ET54-56, as I would have had to fit spacers to get it looking right.

I have attached some pictures to show how it looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big thanks to 'mattandrew', 'dkingy11' and 'Deanphoto' :thumbsup: and all who have advised. Now I need to get it lowered as it looks like a Q5!!

The gap between arch and tyres is approx. 50-55mm as shown below: -

[​IMG]

I'm not fitting coilovers just lowering springs, so I was intending to fit the Eibach Sportlines or H&Rs. This should lower the front by 30-35mm and the rear by 20-25mm, thus reducing the gap between wheel and arch to approx. 20mm front and 30mm rear.

Anyone had any experience with these springs, it seems a radical drop to me, but it's got to come down and quick!!