1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daddy or chips ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by tvr1, Feb 18, 2003.

1. tvr1

tvr1 Member

Just been down Audi, Got talking to the salesman who sold me my S3, had a chat about Chips.it turned out the service manager has a superchip in his audi TT. I got taken for a test drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

I gotta get mine chipped now no doubt about it ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i also learnt that audi will be selling there "own" performance chips in the uk. They just havent confirmed when

Cheers

Hope this is of interest

i know one thing i cant wait for audi i want mine now
  2. amoffat

amoffat Member

It seems that ABT may be coming to the UK to work with Audi on the tuning front, see this post and read the stuff from Fatcat.

Also search the site for 'chip' or 'chippinhg' for loads more info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Click Here To Search
  3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

That is correct. The bloke at the parts dept at Oxford Audi told me the same.

Rich B
  4. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

So let me get this straight: I'm going to be able to get an "Audi" chip to boost the performance of my S3?

A chip that won't invalidate my warranty?

When are they doing that then? Gimme Gimme GIMME!!!!!

Cheers

Alex.
  5. amoffat

amoffat Member

Can you imagine how much it will cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
  6. Crafty

Crafty Member

I think the ABT stuff supplied via a dealer is under warranty

The dealer a mate works at just chipped a RS6 to 505bhp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Apparently the kits are very comprehensive, the RS6 one even came with a sticker for the inside of the fuel filler cap with revised tyre pressures on...
  7. danh

danh New Member

Friend of mine drove an Audi chipped TT from the Macclesfield dealer. Appararently theirs would cost about 1500 quid!!! Nice Audi mark-up as usual
  8. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

Yep, I can confirm this ABT chip via Audi dealers.

The history of it is, [this is what I was told by a senior member of staff at Links Audi Macclesfield]:-

Audi didn't want to put the VW V6 engine in the TT, 'cause it isn't an Audi unit. The Audi V6 was too big, so they seriously considered producing a chipped 1.8T TT. Audi tested various tuners chips, the result was that the ABT chip was selected. As the best compromise of performance and reliability. It was all go, and Audi changed their mind, and decided to us the VW V6 afterall.

I think a deal was then setup with ABT, so that dealers can offer the chips. Links Audi Macclesfield is one of the first dealerships to offer this service, as ABT is just down the road in Tytherington.

The chip costs £1600, for 250bhp. That includes warranty with the dealer. Not sure if its dealer specific or not. The thing that you have to realise is, if you went to ABT directly, the chip is still £1600. So you are basically getting the warranty thrown in for nout. (northern speak for nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

I actually drove the ABT TT Roadster that Links has a few weeks back. I wasn't impressed to be honest. I gave it some stick down the Macclesfield bypass, but it didn't feel much quicker (if at all) than my bog-standard S3. It sounded great, but was a bit too laggy IMO. And 1600 quid for 25bhp is a lot of money if you ask me.

AL
  9. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

25bhp? Is that all !? That's crazy money! I guess Audi are being very conservative in what they allow ABT to do !

Having said that, it does mean your warranty is still covered...
  10. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

I have to say Superchips are a bit mild in gains.

I can't understand why Audi UK don't use Oettinger as Audi Netherlands and Audi Germany do? The stuffs alrady proven, seems strange....to me....and also the price is in keeping with Audi parts i.e. HIGH!