DAB Radio Standard for MY14

Dave i think your whole argument about the interior is to convince yourself its ok to leave Audi for space reasons. I occasionally go and see the a3 and then go see the golf straight after and the difference in interior quality is quite large. The golfs plastics aren't up to the quality of the a3. Minor nuances just aren't finished as well and the whole feel is of lower quality.

that is of course not to say its a bad car and if more space was a must for me id gladly buy a golf. I'm just not sure why you continuously tell us the golf is on par with the a3 interior wise. Its not just opinion and perspective. Its fact that the a3 interior is of better quality.

In your opinion the A3 interior is better. In my opinion it's not better, but is different. It would also seem that 58 motoring journalists from 22 countries think the Golf is overall the better car which is why it won the European Car of the Year Award and the A3 did not make the last eight.

As I said before I have owned eight A3s I would love to have another one, but I'm not going to spend my own money and spend three years sitting in a car whose interior I dislike, good quality or not. A lot of the members on this forum, being a forum about the new 8v A3, obviously like it. The question I would ask is, as most of them are company car drivers, would they choose to buy a new A3 if they had to pay for it out of their own money.

It is also interesting the difference between the different Golf models. If all the models had the shiny black plastic used on the centre console of the GT model I would even consider the Golf. But to me the dark brushed stainless steel looks great and is no where near as 'silver' looking as many of the pictures seem to indicate. I have yet to see a new Octavia, but I doubt if the interior will the same quality as the A3 and Golf even though much of it basically the same as the Golf in design. All three will have exactly the same engine and gearbox produced in the same factory and all three offer the 2.0TDI engine and DSG which are important items in my consideration. As my current A3 is only just over a year old, I still have plenty of time to look at all the models before having to decide which one to spend my money on. I changed my previous A3 a little earlier than my normal three years to make sure I got another A3 that I knew I would like. One of the best decisions I have ever made.

I'm buying the A3 out of my own money. I did look at the Golf but not all that closely. Probably just being a badge snob but the Audi definitely seemed more of a premium proposition than the Golf. Interestingly the Golf seemed to be working out more expensive too as many of the features that come as standard vs the Audi aren't those I'd choose

In your opinion the A3 interior is better. In my opinion it's not better, but is different. It would also seem that 58 motoring journalists from 22 countries think the Golf is overall the better car which is why it won the European Car of the Year Award and the A3 did not make the last eight.

As I said before I have owned eight A3s I would love to have another one, but I'm not going to spend my own money and spend three years sitting in a car whose interior I dislike, good quality or not. A lot of the members on this forum, being a forum about the new 8v A3, obviously like it. The question I would ask is, as most of them are company car drivers, would they choose to buy a new A3 if they had to pay for it out of their own money.

It is also interesting the difference between the different Golf models. If all the models had the shiny black plastic used on the centre console of the GT model I would even consider the Golf. But to me the dark brushed stainless steel looks great and is no where near as 'silver' looking as many of the pictures seem to indicate. I have yet to see a new Octavia, but I doubt if the interior will the same quality as the A3 and Golf even though much of it basically the same as the Golf in design. All three will have exactly the same engine and gearbox produced in the same factory and all three offer the 2.0TDI engine and DSG which are important items in my consideration. As my current A3 is only just over a year old, I still have plenty of time to look at all the models before having to decide which one to spend my money on. I changed my previous A3 a little earlier than my normal three years to make sure I got another A3 that I knew I would like. One of the best decisions I have ever made.

I'm not a company car driver and i'm paying out of my own money that's why i've looked at everything around the price point that suits what i wanted.

like i mentioned in a previous thread

" Golf 5 door 140 1.4 GT is £22,960 otr

An S line a3 122 1.4 is £23,200 otr

You get better standard spec on the s line including 18 inch wheels, xenons, leds, black headlining, s line body kit and s line seats plus the Audi badge for £240 more

You get something equivalent to a comfort pack on the golf gt but if you upgraded the wheels and the lights to xenons you'd be looking at £1500 premium compared to £500 for a comfort pack with Audi.

The one thing is the 18 more hp that you get with the Golf but it is really worth the drop in the name and quality of Audi for smaller wheels, only a modified front bumper (nothing else) and standard lights?

Nope

If we were talking a £1500 less then maybe but not when the price is so close.

We also have the include the fact the Audi has the better dash and interior. Far better in fact, it's a no brainer really.

I went to see both one after the other today and the interior quality of the Golf GT is a massive let down compared to the Audi. It's ugly and feels old fashioned whereas the Audi is modern and sporty.

I can't stress enough how the Golf isn't in the same league as the A3 nor ever will be."

I'm sacrificing a bit power (i'll sort that myself with a little friend i've got
:happy:) , supposedly fuel consumption, smaller wheels, drab non sporty looks, cheaper quality interior and the Audi PREMIUM BADGE to pay more for a Golf? I don't think so.

Can you see how easy my decision was to get the A3? If the Golf was £1500 or £2000 cheaper i may consider it but not for more money with the options i'd want!

Like i said Dave it's a FACT the interior quality is better overall in the A3. However, we can't account for taste and if you like the golf interior better and need the space the Golf is a nice (albeit a step down) alternative.

By the way i was not a fan at all of the previous A3. Had a look at them last year and the interior was very dated (9 year old model was it?) and the body was a touch too blocky for me. The new one is so good looking in many ways and interior is outstanding.

. The question I would ask is, as most of them are company car drivers, would they choose to buy a new A3 if they had to pay for it out of their own money.

I am a private buyer and picked the A3 over the Golf!!

In my view I prefer the looks of the A3 interior. At the end of the day we each have our own views and preferences and I say go for the one you personally prefer and enjoy it.

I'm buying the A3 out of my own money. I did look at the Golf but not all that closely. Probably just being a badge snob but the Audi definitely seemed more of a premium proposition than the Golf. Interestingly the Golf seemed to be working out more expensive too as many of the features that come as standard vs the Audi aren't those I'd choose

exactly see above post! Why pay MORE for a Golf than an A3?

Also a private buyer and A3 is in my own opinion a much more refined cabin and the materials do seem a notch above the golf's.

had a golf Mk V and loved it so have a soft spot for golfs but for me when looking for a new car back in Sept 2013 buying A3 was a very easy decision to make.

I've had a good look in the new golf but not feeling the love with the mk 7 interior. Very smart but ordinary in my opinion.

exactly see above post! Why pay MORE for a Golf than an A3?

I'm also a private buyer and purchased A3 with my own cash.

In respect of the silver or piano black in the Golf.... I wouldn't even consider an SE Golf - the silver plastic was horrid! It reminded me of the Ford / Mazda dashboards covered in cheap plastic. The GT piano black was more palatable and less 'in your face', but still a little too much of it.

I'm buying an A3 with my own money too. Had 3 golfs (MK2, MK5, MK6) not remotely interested in owning another.

Gosh, this thread seems to have become another Golf v A3 discussion. I am a company car driver and I have a budget to spend and want the best I can have for that budget. I drive long distances and as such need the choice to be right for my needs. I also have no option to change the car should my choice be wrong therefore I am making a stand for all us company car drivers where the perception seems to be that as it is not our money we don't give the same consideration. I chose the A3 as it gave me the best value and certain ally in my opinion the best comfort and refinement. A car I will be delighted with for the 4 years that I will have it for. To be fair the golf was my second choice.

What happened to this thread ***?? Moderator... :think:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What one person things is great, another will think is not so nice. According to an Audi Sales Manger friend, 50% of the people who look at the interior of the new A3 think it's great and 50% think it's horrible. The main dislike is the design and the MMI/popup screen system in particular.

Even between people with 'design' training the same applies. I trained and worked for 20 years as an Architectural Technician which involved both technical and design training and even at that stage the difference between what one student thought was good and the other thought was not so good was quite marked.

Cars are no different when you look at cars in the same price range. Some like an Audi, some think BMW is much better and some think Mercedes are top. If you had to choice between and Audi R8 or a Porche 911 which would you choose. Some prefer one and would not even consider the other and probably a similar amount would choose the other way round.

Fortunately for all of us, German manufactures in particluar all offer quality and different models in their range, and even within each sector. A3 - BMW 1 series - Mercedes A class. Within each model they also offer various models S,SE,Sport, S-Line etc to give the customer as close as possible to what they want with a good range of options to customise the car to suit you.

A lot of members on this forum already own an new A3 and obviously think the A3 is the best, which is why they chose it. If you go to a VW forum you will find that most on there think the new Golf is best and no doubt the same will be true if you look at a BMW forum. I am in the slightly different position in that I currently driving my eigth A3 and have loved every one of them. But I happen to dislike to MMI/popup screen system in the new one, which is my main reason for looking at alternatives aprt from possible needing my next car to be an Estate.

People who say it is a FACT that the interior of the A3 is better than the Golf are wrong. It is only better if you like it. If you don't like the appearance or the way it works it's not better. Quality is far more than just the materials used. This thread started off talking about DAB radio and the fact that it was now going to be standard on the A3 as it is on the Golf. My comment was purely that Audi had caught up with VW and Skoda as far as the radio that is fitted as standard. Not important to me personally as I rarely listen to the radio when I am driving but it was a FACT.

I will be interested to see how much it costs to retrofiit DAB to the A3. If it's over £250 I wont bother, but might consider it under that.

BMW offered a similar retrofit solution when they started offering DAB as standard at the start of this year; could be a similar price I assume. I've found my local Audi dealership's Service Department to be very reasonable and open to negotiation when getting things fitted to your vehicle. For example, when I bought my current A3 I had Cruise Control retrofitted by Blackburn Audi for £100, and I hadn't even purchased the car from them.

BMW UK : News | Class-leading DAB radio capability across the BMW range.

The DAB standard in this country is inferior to most of Europe, so for pure quality FM is better, signal quality allowing.

However, there are always channels available on DAB that aren't available on FM/AM. For example BBC 5live is much better on DAB than AM as its not available on FM at all. Also its partner channel BBC 5Live extra is only available in a car on a DAB radio.

The DAB standard in this country is inferior to most of Europe, so for pure quality FM is better, signal quality allowing.

However, there are always channels available on DAB that aren't available on FM/AM. For example BBC 5live is much better on DAB than AM as its not available on FM at all. Also its partner channel BBC 5Live extra is only available in a car on a DAB radio.

Most things in the UK are inferior to most of Europe and Germany in particular. The sound quality on my home HiFi tuner, especially for classical music, is better on FM than on DAB. The only real advantage for DAB is that it does give you details of what is being played at the time. Don't know about the advantages, if any, in the car. Does DAB stay tuned in to a particular station better than FM as you drive around the country?

Most things in the UK are inferior to most of Europe and Germany in particular. The sound quality on my home HiFi tuner, especially for classical music, is better on FM than on DAB. The only real advantage for DAB is that it does give you details of what is being played at the time. Don't know about the advantages, if any, in the car. Does DAB stay tuned in to a particular station better than FM as you drive around the country?

I thought there were still doubts about whether DAB radio would actually take off in the UK, and whether an alternative like Sirius satellite radio, like they have in the US, might actually be an alternative...?

DAB is old news. The kewl kids moved to Internet radio/iplayer streaming on the phone a while ago.

I think DAB will be here for a while, they will probably shut down the fm airways like they did with terrestrial tv, and force everyone to go digital, dont be surprised if we get hit with a Digital Radio license in years to come, any way the government can find a way to squeeze every £ out of the public they will,

as other have said on here DAB isn't that much better IF any better than a good fm reception, i have ordered the DAB on my A3 sportback and i have it on my company BMW, on journeys from newcastle to aberdeen the signal drops out in about 10 times so it stays on fm, when im local preset 1 stays tuned to Absoulte 80s my Fav

As recorded in Digital Radio Switchover - Commons Library Standard Note SN06524, published 14 January 2013, the UK Government is expected to make a decision on whether to proceed with the switchover to DAB by the end of 2013.

In this note, the target date, which the industry considers is achievable and the UK Government says it would support, is 2015.
In the note it also states that the switchover will only begin when 50% of all listening is to digital, when national DAB coverage is comparable to FM, and when local DAB reaches 90% of the population and all major roads.

As recorded in Lords Hansard dated 11 Dec 2012 Column WA209: 31.3% of current listening is to digital and projections suggest that it will reach, and surpass, 50% within the next three to five years.

There are two main things to consider it when examining your requirement to have DAB in a vehicle.
a/ Do you want the additional stations that DAB offers.
b/ When will FM be switched off (linked in with this is how long do you plan to keep the vehicle and the effect DAB or not having DAB has on second hand vehicle prices)

Last edited:
As recorded in Digital Radio Switchover - Commons Library Standard Note SN06524, published 14 January 2013, the UK Government is expected to make a decision on whether to proceed with the switchover to DAB by the end of 2013.

The following part of the Audi news item suggests to me that this decision is ratified already and there is a joint commitment to DAB and a planned increase in transmitters. I had been pressured to pay extra for DAB when I bought my Golf new in 2010 but resisted as I couldn't then see enough evidence of it taking over from FM, but now I think I would get it even if it was an option (although it seems it will be included anyway as I am not able to order my S3 yet).

"Following the ratification of a local digital radio coverage agreement between the Government, the BBC and commercial radio broadcasters in 2012, the reach of digital radio coverage has expanded to such an extent that the service has now become a valuable addition to the Audi standard specification. A programme of local transmitter builds is currently underway, giving listeners local stations on DAB digital radio for the first time, with a total of 14 new transmitters to be built by 2015"

There are many stations that are only available on DAB and not FM/AM. Also DAB being digital, its kind of binary you either get it or can't ie 'No signal'. Also DAB can be fiddly to use as it multiplex's stations into groups and calls them an Ensemble. This makes trying to locate a station you want to listen to in different parts of the country a challenge if you try to search for it as you may not know what ensemble it is in. I listen to BBC 5live and on DAB its much better quality than on AM and also it has 5Live Extra which is only on DAB. Also BBC 5Live is on the BBC national ensemble adn I can drive pretty much all over the country and not loose signal.

They are meant to be bringing out a better version of DAB for the UK, I am just not sure if they have decided what method and that begs another question do the DAB radios have any future-proofing built in?

I thought there were still doubts about whether DAB radio would actually take off in the UK, and whether an alternative like Sirius satellite radio, like they have in the US, might actually be an alternative...?

I believe that the government are trying to make it compulsory for all cars to have DAB and some stage soon-ish

What build week does DAB become standard for the new A3 Sportback?

What build week does DAB become standard for the new A3 Sportback?

According to the current ETKA program, the new MY14 starts on 1 June 2013 which is in week 22. So I assume any cars produced after that we include the DAB radio.

I think you'll find there's a new price list out on April 1 for the MY14 models. 16th April is week 16, I expect MY14 build will start on week 22. You really have no reason to expect your car to have it or to expect it to be retrofitted foc - you have your price and yours will be a MY13 car I would say.

Ordered mine a couple of weeks back (spec below) and have heard nothing back from the dealer except to say its as been ordered. So nothing confirmed by Audi and no build week. I am not expecting delivery until September on a 63 plate so build week should be well after week 22. So based on the above and for anyone placing an order in the last week or so and from now on I would expect it will be a MY14 car and as such come with DAB as standard.

will mail my dealer and let you know what he comes back with.

Anyone else checked with there dealer yet.

Dave

Ordered mine 3 weeks ago and have been told build week 27. I've emailed the dealer but haven't heard anything back yet. I'll be ringing tomorrow to find out.

Mine is due mid June. Dealer said it would be MY14 spec if that date stays but that audi could bring my build forward.

Where did you get the date of 1 April from? The 2014 Model Year does not start until 1 June 2013.

at the bottom of the news item it says: Most Audi models equipped with fully integrated digital radio receivers will become available to order from the beginning of April, with the exception of the TT and R8 ranges, which will follow suit at a later date.

I have ordered an a4 allroad, 2 weeks ago and at the time was advised by the salesman that from April 1 st dab would be standard, this would coincide with an increase in price across the range to include the price of the dab radio. To make things simpler I ordered my allroad with dab as an extra along wih nav etc , which cost a bit more, but I think I had him nailed down on the price in the first place. Car due mid to late June....

at the bottom of the news item it says: Most Audi models equipped with fully integrated digital radio receivers will become available to order from the beginning of April, with the exception of the TT and R8 ranges, which will follow suit at a later date.

Makes sense as it's 'orders' after 1 April, which means the cars will probably not be made until after the MY change in June.

Ordered mine a couple of weeks back (spec below) and have heard nothing back from the dealer except to say its as been ordered. So nothing confirmed by Audi and no build week. I am not expecting delivery until September on a 63 plate so build week should be well after week 22. So based on the above and for anyone placing an order in the last week or so and from now on I would expect it will be a MY14 car and as such come with DAB as standard.

will mail my dealer and let you know what he comes back with.

Anyone else checked with there dealer yet.

Dealer just got back to me and confirmed if build week 22 or later DAB is standard, still wating on my build week though........to be honest would prefer car earlier compared to later and free DAB

Dealer just got back to me and confirmed if build week 22 or later DAB is standard, still wating on my build week though........to be honest would prefer car earlier compared to later and free DAB

Same here Daveotto, just got email back from dealer, ordered 2 weeks ago, he said they have been advised that week 22 onwards for dab to be standard.

still no build date but he reckons our date will be well after... whoop :) as it was one of the options we scrubbed off on the day, fingers crossed

Funny really reading this my car must have been MY2013 car prior to week22 build and yet been to dealer today and no retrofit DAB available for the car from Audi direct

Get a Sonichi DAB receiver and same brand magnetic ariel from Halfords. Total cost £60 ish and works a treat, had one in my previous 8v.
Mounted my ariel in the boot, on a regular 280 mile trip to relatives it would drop DAB signal about twice.