DA worth it even if not looking to correct?

scotty76

Reaction score
A really quick, dumb question but is it worth using a DA polisher for polish/glaze/wax even if there's nothing specific I want to correct? Car is over 4 years old so I am sure the swirls are there but in daylight I can't see them. There are stone chips but the DA won't help with those.

So is there a DA plus products combo that would give a noticeably better finish over just hand application?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It really depends on the time you have tbh because the one thing to realise is that using a DA does not speed the process up (in fact sometimes it can take longer) but what you can achieve is a much better result than by hand.

As already mentioned you can use the DA in combination with abrasive polishes to correct the paintwork, but you can also use it to apply products that contain fillers to mask the swirls which would generally speaking take less time. This means that you can obtain a much more even coverage than possible by hand.

As well as polishes you can apply glazes, pre wax cleansers, sealants and liquid waxes. Certainly the majority of people that purchase a DA once they have used it wished they had done it sooner. You can use products that you may already have in your kit in combination with the correct pad on the DA to achieve the results that you want. The more practice the better the results will get.

Last edited:
Thank you both. I am generally short of time so fillers are the most likely route for me. At the moment I'm working by hand and using up supplies of AG UDS and AG HD Wax. The AG HD Wax looks like it will last quite a while yet and I've been happy with it. I know AG is not necessarily that popular on the detailing scene but I find the wax fine although UDS is a pain to buff out.

Moving forward I was thinking maybe R222 Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser or PB Black Hole topped with the HD Wax (until it runs out). Jen is there something equivalent to these two products that you stock on your website? Car is dolphin grey (dark grey).

I don't yet own a DA but will probably look to buy one this year. I guess from what has been said even if I am only filling the finish will be better/more even by DA.