D or N at lights

catdog

Reaction score
I have a 2.0T CVT. My mate claims it's better to stay in D at the lights as shifting from D to N, and vice versa, would cause more damage to the CVT in the long run. Any comments, anyone?

I always put mine in N at the lights as i feel its not good for the drive chain which is pulling the car to be straining to go forward and im holding it with the brakes. I am not a mechanic i have no idea this is only my opinion! BE interesting to actually hear some facts on this though....good point brought up catdog!

Yes the multitronic is a CVT box - even in the newest incarnation which always provides 7 ratios rather than the pre-2005 ones which behave more like a normal cvt.

I very rarely go into N - only for a very prolonged delay.

The drive chain is under very little load at this point - the CVT itself unlike a traditional torque-converter based auto has no inherent 'creep' whatsoever - the 'creep' that we all experience is actually electronic control of the conventional clutch, slightly and deliberately slipping it to simulate a normal auto creep.. done to keep traditional auto drivers happy.. so I would suspect that its actually wear on the clutch that is an issue rather than the chain and associated mechanism.. But this function was 'designed in' and the materials should cope with it. Audi provide no advice on this, and there are a lot of these boxes out there.. in fact the only advice seems to be oil changes at 40k - same as their normal autos!

cant comment on whether the repeated engagement of D-N-D etc would have an effect, I dont know.

my irritation is that for this programmed in creep to work, the clutch is already partially engaged.. so why does it take so long to fully engage when you actually go!

[ QUOTE ]
my irritation is that for this programmed in creep to work, the clutch is already partially engaged.. so why does it take so long to fully engage when you actually go!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya CMS, some very good points there indeed and maybe the most relevant at the end there which is my pet hate also.

The weird thing is and this has only happened a few times. At the lights when i have put my boot down the car has taken off like a rocket it was fantastic.....then when i try to simulate the experience again i mostly just get the slooow clutch engaging and going nowhere fast!

I know the car is capable of doing a quick start so why the heck doesnt it all the time when you want it to?

Thanks CMS.

When I try to pull away briskly, I often have this unintenional wheel spin of one side or the other. Not both.
But when I de-activate the ESP, it seems to work much better, with the wheel spin pretty much under control.

I'd say put in N for a couple of reasons

1. Nothing more annoying than sitting behind someone who has their foot on the brakes!

2. If you've been driving reasonably quickly and the brakes are hot you stand a much higher chance of warping your disks by sitting on the brakes. It basically creates a hot spot on the disk while the rest of the disk cools down.