D-Day 6th June

sidibear

Going with the flow.
Staff member
Reaction score
We will never forget.

Normandy2011159.jpg

Normandy2011073.jpg

These are bullet marks on Pegasus Bridge, someones last moments of life were trying to make themselves as small as possible behind the steel brace fighting for the freedom you all now have.

Just take a moment sometime today to remember them.

I know the date but forgot what date it is today.
I really thought the navy would have done something today but nothing was done down here :(.

I might take a walk round the memorials and down to one of the launching/staging plate forms near me.

Makes me think of my G-Dad, never spoke a single word about the terror he & others endured in the war, not to a single soul, not even to his wife of some 60 years, kinda tells it all tbh.

Makes me think of my G-Dad, never spoke a single word about the terror he & others endured in the war, not to a single soul, not even to his wife of some 60 years, kinda tells it all tbh.

That's what always scares me most about it! I can't imagine the hardship they went through when they can't even mention it to those closest. :(

Like my great uncle, he was out with the gurkhas for most of the war and never said a word. I got all of his old service papers but non of his medals he pawned them all before he past away. :(
My grandad never spoke about it, never said what he did or where he went. The only thing he ever said about it was that he was a very good shot with a rifle.
I've asked him about it and asked him about his big oak chest but he's never answered any of the questions. I'd asked him if I have his old service papers and any war stuff he has, He just looked at me and smiled.

I'm not sure if I would like to hear their stories or not.

Both my Grandad's were brilliant. I miss them so much and just glad They survived the war so I could meet them. Just wish my kid could...
I used to love the stories they would tell and gave me a lot of aspiration a child...

If i could type the last post i would... Respect

We have a memorial here at Warsash as a lot of the commandos left from here. We have also visited the beaches at Normandy.

My G-Fathers were all reserved occupations, my Mum's was a Trolley Bus driver in London and an ARP Warden in Chiswick, their Air raid shelter was one of those steel re-enforced tables in the cellar. My Dad's (who had had Polio anyway) worked on electronics and Radar for Marconi.

Even my Wife's G-Fathers were reserved, signal man on the Railway and a Market Gardener.

Paul

Last edited:
Fred1.jpg

My Great Uncle Fred who served as a Sergeant in the RAF lost his life over France in 1942 aged 26,his death wasn't confirmed until 9 months later.

Proud photo that dude. RIP

They were told to go ................ They went.................... One helluva lot gave their tomorrows.............Total Respect