Cylinder 3 misfire

mnadeem1984

Reaction score
Argh! My car was driving fine today but then all of a sudden it started jerking, misfiring etc. The engine warning came on. Turning the car off then on, still no luck. Using vag-com, its detected a fault on cylinder 3. (misfire). When going to misfire count, it just goes up, up up and up. The other 3 cylinders are ok.

Is this a faulty coilpack, or is it the spark plug. They were all serviced together and i was told they wouldnt need changing for another 35k miles. Can it be 02 or maf related because all these seem fine and when disconnecting the MAF, the problem does not go.

Please help me out on this one. Cheers.

had coilpack 3 slipped off the plug and just needed pushed back onto the top of the plug to make a good connection?

no checked all that. it was all ok. I'm kind of worried because i gotta go out early tomorrow and dont want it letting me down! heaters already givin me problems!

Worth a set of plugs maybe to isolate this cause, for £25....? For some weird reason I have never had coilpack issues in many years with many cars running them.....! I did have HT lead issues though once, a lead got damaged and was tracking to earth.....?

I found it by having a "look" under the hood at night, when it was dark, the annoying misfire suddenly well evident as a littel lightening bolt to the cam cover....! Worth a try maybe..? If they look all ok, keep your eye on the coilpacks?