CVT transmission questions

Martin Pashov

Reaction score
Greetings from Bulgaria,
I just bought a 2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDI 130 hp with a cvt transmission (whatever that means). That engine is popular in Europe and you might not have it in the States, but anyway my questions are:

Question 1: Could you guys tell me why when I start accelerating up to 75 mph, the cyclometer goes up to 1800 rotational speed (at the beginning of acceleration), and does not move above that until I go above 75 mph?

Question 2: Why when I let go the accelerator pedal, the car starts slowing down, but the rotational speed does not go under 1800 until the car reaches 15 mph?

My previous car was a 2001 Mercedes E-klass with an automatic transmission and it was totally different than that one. Is something wrong or that is a normal behaviour of the cvt transmission.

That's because multitronic is a completely different than conventional transmissions. On youtube you can find vids how it works.
CVT stands for continuously variable transmission, that's why the RPM doesn't increase until a certain speed. There is no gears, only "virtual gears" when you switch to manual mode.