CV Joint failed I think!

shotbybilly

Reaction score
After a brilliant day at ADI,Castle Coombe,yesterday(great to meet all that attended),we set off from the hotel to go to Santa Pod. When I did my first right turn there was a cluncking sound from the near side front corner.
I pulled into the first petrol station and removed the wheel to check,found nothing loose so decided to carry on.
The noise started to appear at certain times whilst in a straight line,so we ditched going to Santa Pod and limped home.
On getting home I got the S3 in the garage,removed the wheel and still can't see anything.
Am I right in thinking its the CV joint?

Does it knock under load? I have a rotational knock in all gears, with clutch dipped and engaged, turning and in straight lines, but have noticed when I'm at around 2000 rpms if I keep it there the noise disappears (when under slight load) I'd be inclined to say your experiencing cv joint issues, can you feel a judder under braking?

Sorry to hear about the CV joint, bet your glad you didnt track it now on saturday.

Hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
Does it knock under load? I have a rotational knock in all gears, with clutch dipped and engaged, turning and in straight lines, but have noticed when I'm at around 2000 rpms if I keep it there the noise disappears (when under slight load) I'd be inclined to say your experiencing cv joint issues, can you feel a judder under braking?

It knocks most when turning to the right,no judder under braking and there is no play in the wheel bearing.

It knocks most when turning to the right,no judder under braking and there is no play in the wheel bearing.

Yeah mate I had the same problem, mine was the CV.

Horrible clunking sound it's terrible

"UPDATE"
CV let go with a bang,steering wheel whobble etc,had to limp home(5 mph).
Ordered both front drive shafts complete with CV's,should be here in the morning.
Will post pic a pic of knackered CV when we get it off.

Reactions: Jwilson95
Still waiting for drive shafts(supposed to here before 1pm),so got on with removing the nearside faulty one.
Outer CV was full of water? but the inner CV was locked in one postion,I think this is the reason for the wheel wobble.
Just sat waiting for the shafts to turn up now.

Hope all goes well pal . Bit of a bad do missing Santa pod . Hope your gear turns up. Bet it's like waiting for a new toy to turn up . At least your not waiting for Santa like my little girl .

Driveshafts turned up at 6pm,had the nearside rebuilt by 6:55pm,just been out for a test drive and everything feels much better no more rattles and less take up.
Will do the off side one tomorrow morning.
Got the drive shafts from http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/, bargain price £24.99 for the nearside and £49.99 the offside,they come with a unlimited mileage 2 year warranty.Ring them up to get the best price,and they look really well put together.

UPDATE
Finished fitting both drive shafts today, then went out for a blast,car feels really good and a lot quieter,which makes me think that the CV's have been on ther way out for a while.
Did both sides myself after checking up on the how to guides on here,so a big THANK YOU to all that post them:applaus:

Glad its sorted pal. Had a look on their website but only shows a3 ones!

Thank you sir, you are a a legend. Btw what year is your s3 as pre and post shafts are different!