CV Joint/ Drive shaft removal

Grazam

Reaction score
Hi guys,

More questions from me :s.
So car went in for mot on friday and had a few bits wrong both top mount had exessive play and drivers side outer cv boot perished. So I have got some new top mounts in there and came to do the cv boot and it turns out I don't have the tool to take the driveshaft out the diff end.

Does anyone know what type size it is. Ive done a little research and what im getting is that it is a M8 spline socket to get it out. can anyone confirm or tell me otherwise.

(car is 51plate TQS with esp)

It's an M8 spline socket, yes. It's critical you get the right tool or you'll round them off. Somebody has had a go at one of mine in the past, and not sure how I'll get it out in the future!

However, on my S3, and don't know if it's the same on the A3 Quattro, you should be able to knock the whole outer cv joint off the drive shaft in situ? I used a lump hammer and a block of wood. Once that was off, slip on the new boot and push back on.

hmm turns out the bolts are M10 spline socket on mine lucky I bought the set :). Haven't had a go at it yet just enjoying the weather a little too much. whats this you say about doing it in situ. could you just do a basic step by step, so i dont have to take it off the diff.

Thanks
Graham

I followed the how to guide on here, but was scuppered by a rounded off spline bolt that somebody had already had a go at with the incorrect type bit.

Basically, what I did was the following;

- break the balljoint from the hub, leaving it on the arm
- pull the hub and strut towards you until the driveshaft is out of the hub
- swing the hub out of the way so that you can access the outer driveshaft and cv joint
- cut the outer boot off
- using a small piece of wood and a lump hammer, knock the whole cv joint off the driveshaft towards you. It may take a few taps, but it should come.
- once that's off, you can slide the outer cv boot on and replace the various seals and washers/clips back on
- tap the outer cv joint assembly back on, after cleaning it and regressing as necessary
- attach the boot clips, and slide driveshaft back into hub etc

On the S3, the nearside driveshaft is the same width all the way to the inner boot, which also meant I could replace that one too without removing the shaft from the diff end.

I was relieved as otherwise I was looking at welding a nut onto the spline bolt or something, which I didn't fancy doing with the lack of access!