1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CV Boot Metal Clips

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by darko, Apr 25, 2006.

1. darko

darko Member

[Apr 25, 2006]
    Does anyone know if it is only Audi who can fit a metal clip on a CV boot ? the reason I ask is that one of mine has been replaced with a plastic cable tie and has come off leaking grease - although its a simple job to fit a new metal clip im sure audi will charge me 1 hour labour (around £100) - is this a job that any garage can do or do the clips require audi tools ?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. s3_tny

s3_tny Member

[Apr 25, 2006]
    try an indepentant garage, i had this and audi quoted for a whole new cv boot for ....£210 and my indepentant garage said only the clip was needed and only took 5-10 mins
  4. imported_fingermouse

imported_fingermouse Guest

[Apr 26, 2006]
    there is a special tool for clapming these metal clips.. Doing the whole boot is a hour to 2 hr job depending on your ability/ experience.

any garage will have a tool to do the metal clips some just use pincers.

If you are near the huddersfield area i`ll do it for you for free if you get the clip.
  5. darko

darko Member

[Apr 27, 2006]
    thanks, i have the clip now but am in sw london.. should kwik fit be able to fit these clips ?
  6. imported_fingermouse

[Apr 27, 2006]
    it would be cheaper to buy the tool and fit them yourself, if you have genuine audi clips then you cant go wrong.

if you have just purchased audi clips could you tell me how much they are as i put a spurious one on one of mine and im not happy with the seal.
  7. darko

darko Member

[Apr 27, 2006]
    yes - am thinking the same myself, any links you could show me for the right crimping tool would be appreciated ! the clip was (shock) only a £5ish from audi so im pretty ok with that. part number for 2001 AMK was : N 906 307 01
  8. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Apr 27, 2006]
    There are a couple of clips available. First is the ear type that you can crimp with a pair of carpenter's pincers. These are one time use only. The official audi tool looks like a hand vice and is torqued up, but you don't really need it to complete the task as pincers work fine.

The other is the reusable type. They are of the same design as the reusable clips used on the vacuum pipes in the engine bay. You can get a tool from Halfords made by "Laser" tools that works great.
  9. darko

darko Member

[Apr 27, 2006]
    the 2nd one sounds like the type i have - matches most of the hose clips in the engine bay. could you post a link to the right laser tool for the job ?
  10. HTC

HTC Active Member

11. imported_fingermouse

[Apr 28, 2006]
    i`ll try and find some links but i know sealy make a pair, mine are teng and cost 17 quid. think you need the ear type but i`ll do some digging
  12. dummi

dummi smoking a6

[Apr 28, 2006]
    is there any reason to suspect dirt may have got in through the CV boot? might be worth replacing for the long term if it has IMO..