1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cutting rear valence to fit aftermarket backbox

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by afcjay, Feb 4, 2009.

1. afcjay

afcjay Member

[Feb 4, 2009]
    im fitting a after market backbox on my 1.8T 8L and wondered how to go about it.
    should i cut the rear valence for the tailpipes or can i fit a S3 valence or has the 8P valence got cut outs?if so will they fit a 8L bumper?
    any idea what will be the best way to go about it?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Feb 4, 2009]
    I have a MK4 Golf 1.8T system fitted to my A3. You will need to cut the valance whatever you fit, S3 or otherwise.

Here's a link to my setup and where I had to cut. The metal is very thin and easy to remove, but make sure you don't cut into the spare wheel housing area. You will need to remove one of the rear bumper lower screw points. It makes no difference to the rigidity of the bumper.
  4. reptor245

reptor245 Active Member

[Feb 5, 2009]
    noooooo dont do it....get a full system instead. im guessing your fitting a backbox onto the standard system?. put a custom 3" system on it m8. mines kicking out 197BHP from a standard lump with a remap.
  5. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

[Feb 5, 2009]
    HTC - I'm liking that exhaust, it looks gooooood!
    How much did it cost?
    Has it increased in noise level?
  6. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Feb 5, 2009]
    Thanks. My system cost me nothing...........don't ask..........and no I didn't steal it. I think they retail for about just over £300?? Should be similar priced to Milltek, blue flame etc.

Yes the noise is increased, impossible not to with straight through absorption silencers as all these companies use. You quickly get used to it and cruising around town it's very quiet. Open it up and it makes more noise. I love it and it's quieter than some other systems I've heard. I have a hi-flow cat so essentially 3 silencers.

Here are some vids. First was when I fitted it. Very slightly louder now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHv45hXFWrU&feature=channel

How it looks now. I got bored and chopped off the ends for a more cut down look. Excuse the misfire........fixed now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfny9Y3SBng&feature=channel
  7. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Feb 5, 2009]
    it just looks like mine now you've cut it down Kev! Much better I reckon.

I'm sure those vids make it sound much noisier than it is in real life too, due to the proximity of the camera Mic.

Mines fairly noisey from outside, but when cruising around you literally can't really hear it. It's only when you really open it up that you start to hear it roar.
  8. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Feb 5, 2009]
    You're right. Louder due to camera placement. I had the slash cut on an old MK2 golf, had to be done again.
  9. afcjay

afcjay Member

[Feb 5, 2009]
    Thanks for the link,i didnt realise it was a bumper off job.
    i thought it would be just a case of cutting the lower plastic valence.
    looks like im going to have to wait for some decent weather before fitting
  10. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Feb 5, 2009]
    You could probably get away with not removing the bumper. I just like to see what I'm doing.
  11. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Feb 5, 2009]
    I couldn't be bothered with removing my bumper at all! I made my tail pipes too, as it used to be a downturned TDI style backbox.

I just marked up the bumper in line with the back box exits, and made a small cut out to start with, holding the new pipes in the appature and cutting it back until I was happy, then I slash cut the ends and welded the new pipes onto the back box to suit the bumper cutout.

My 'tail pipes' are infact just off cuts from a metre length of 2.5'' stainless pipe, which I flatted and polished up.