1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom A4 B5 sub box using glass fiber

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by billybravo, Mar 12, 2007.

1. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

[Mar 12, 2007]
    Hello all

Well i dont know if you remember my old install i was happy with it but the whole lot was very heavy and i got sick of not having a boot.

[​IMG]

Well i ripped all that out and going with just one 15" this time in a custom glassfiber box to the left hand side of the boot

this is how ive been going on im still a long way off but i will update the post as i go.

The big tape up this took some time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first of many layers of glass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well i got the front on this morning still got to gt a few more layers of glass on top and inside if i can. using fleece and it did soak up a hell of alot of resin im happy with the way things are going

heres some more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well below you can see i covered the outside of the box in "milkshake"

to make the milkshake mix 1ltr of resin and a tin of car filler stick in double of mek hardener (std is 2% of hardener to the resin)

ive got to be back in work tomorrow so i will be doing bit and bats but i should be updating later on in the week

still got to put the milkshake on the inside will do this tomorrow night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

today i got as far as preping the first layer of body filler ready for a fresh skim tomorrow.

to do this i used 40 grit papers and matt black to find the low and high spots of the car filler and also any curves. i trimmed the sub rings again with the router using a trim off bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

test fitment
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ive still got a long way to go but im thinking of painting it a nice gloss red or maybe covering it in red suede allicantarra as i can get a good deal on it at 25 pound a meter.

anyways thats todays work done time for a pint. :)

Well tuesday was spent sanding and sanding and sanding. i started to coat the box im high build primer today. I want to get a good few coats on to cover any little pin holes in the filler

but now the box is really taking shape :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 21, 2014]

3. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

[Mar 12, 2007]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fist coat of high build primer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hiya all (PICS BELOW)

Well its done i painted the box in the end in panther black to match my dash and door trim.

Im very happy how its turned out and it sounds great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheers

craig
  4. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

[Apr 28, 2007]
    ok guys this is hard to do but im selling this box as ive gone mad with getting my car as light as i can i cought the stripping bug lol

offers on the box

the box should fit any 15" sub and is very strong with around 1.9 air space i will be sad to see it go as i miss my bass but if im ever going to get my car near a ton im not going to do it with a 15 in the boot.