Cupla things...

Horchsense

Reaction score
Cupla things - made a post over Christmas about a "whistle" from the engine on new 2.0tdi S/back. Only got 2 or 3 replies so I'll try again. Most noticable at low revs in low gears - any other reports of this? It was suggested that it could be the turbo - but I'm not convinced. The noise doesn't sound like there's something wrong, and I'm sure will be described by Audi as a "characteristic" - but it irritates the hell out of me.
Also - another bugbear - the ride height. I ordered the S/back sport, assuming it would have similar ride height to A3 3 door or my last A4 sport. The ride height is actually about 7cms (I know 'cos I measured it in the dead of night - the neighbours already think I'm loony!)I originally thought it would drop, with use, but it still looks too high to me. Did wonder whether the tyres made any difference Michelin Pilots - 225/45/17 - any comments? Now considering whether it's worth getting it lowered - again any info on practicality/prices/or other ideas gratefully received.

Does sound like the turbo spinning up tho, i remember gettin mi trusty old pug306 D Turbo sport and i kept thinking the police were on my ***, but it turned out to be the turbo, lol. The ride hieght, ummmm, post a picture on here of it, let us have a look..

You aren't the only loony one re ride heights mate and certainly not the only loony left in town so don't worry there! See the thread I started on 10/12/04 titled 'Sportback\A3 ride heights' and another called 'Is the Sportback lowered in press photos' started by Synthdood on 29/11/04. Others have been measuring too!

In summary :

Whilst wandering around a local dealer I was looking at ride heights between the SE and Sport on the Sportback and looked at around 7 cars.

Measuring the distance between the tyre and wheel arch edge, the results were...

Sportback Sport 7.5cm to 8.5cm depending on individual car

SE 8cm to 9cm depending on individual car.

Many had different tyres but this didn't seem to make any difference, i.e. 2 identical cars on different tyres had the same measurements whereas 2 identical cars on the same tyres sometimes had different measurements! Weird.

Someone did say that when delivered at dealers they have suspension blocks on which are then removed but the car takes a while to settle down. Certainly the A4 Avants I've seen do sit a lot lower than the Sportbacks I have seen.

Has anyone noticed their new car 'drop' a little as it settles down after delivery????

could be that one of the blades of the fan on the turbois slightly out of line. Had this on a boat I worked on once and when they spun up your ears almost bled. (turbo housing did measure about 2 foot across though :))

I ordered my car with the sport suspension mainly because it sits a little lower. After ordering and looking at a lot of pictures on the web and reading through a lot of forums I got a little worried that it would still be a bit too high to my taste. Now that I have it, I find that it doesn't stands too high at all (thank god). Someone actually told my girlfriend that he thought it had been lowered. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I do find that the sportback somehow looks higher in most (forum)pictures than it is in real life. In professional(press)photos, on the other hand, it is the other way around. I'm sure it is to do the angle in which the pictures are taken. A good photographer knows exactly from which angle to take a picture to make a car look low and sleek.

i'd agree the photos in the brochures make the car look a bit lower than they do in real life, its either a trick of the photographer, or audi do lower the cars, or they've got Andy Fordham and Rick Waller stuffed inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
steveb said:
So Eeef, (catchy name!)does your 2.0tdi Sline (wot I'm beginning to think I shudda bort) not do the whistle thing? At all??

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask him again in March and he might be able to tell you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
He's waiting to take delivery of his new baby.

J.

[ QUOTE ]
marriedblonde said:
[ QUOTE ]
steveb said:
So Eeef, (catchy name!)does your 2.0tdi Sline (wot I'm beginning to think I shudda bort) not do the whistle thing? At all??

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask him again in March and he might be able to tell you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
He's waiting to take delivery of his new baby.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah OK, don't rub it in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I waited 6 weeks for a previous car to be shipped from Japan and that didn't seem to bad. This is 10x worse though