1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crunch going into third gear?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3K, Apr 24, 2005.

1. S3K

S3K Member

Hi fellaz, I have just noticed today a rickety crunch noise when going into third gear at high revs. Its seems ok at lower revs and the other gears seem fine. Its just making it in third after about 4-5k revs. The car is barely in warranty and just wondered if anybody has any ideas before I book it in?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

A normal characteristic of the S3 gearbox, really need to press the clutch all the way down to avoid crunching imo, I experienced this a few times myself. I have noticed a huge improvement since fitting a Powerflex dogbone mount, not crinched the gearbox since as far as i can remember, but the downside is slightly more transmission vibration in the cabin when the cars idling.
  3. imported_gek

imported_gek Guest

4. rraghvani

rraghvani Whoever does not try, does not learn.

I've had the same problem too. It only happens when I accelerate quick e.g. changing gears, de/pressing clutch quickly (mainly in 2nd and 3rd).
    I think its due to the hydraulic clutch not responding in time – as I’ve read from other car model tech specs.
  5. S3K

S3K Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Shall see how we go. Got a nice drive away next week shall keep an eye on it and see what occurs. Glad its not just me and my heavy feet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif