1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruise control Question

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Robhullfury, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Robhullfury

Robhullfury New Member

[Feb 27, 2013]
    Hi, only had A3 a couple of weeks bought from Audi the wife treated me to Cruise Control retro fitted at Audi. Audi didnt actually fit it themselves but use a recommended fitter. Question is when cruise control is on should depressing the clutch turn the cruise control off? by pressing the brake it does (as it should) however I can fully press the clutch down and change gear with the cruise control still engaged. Its not something that bothers me and I hadnt noticed until tonight heading towards a roundabout and just slightly dipped clutch to change down thinking this would slow me slightly but had to brake quickly. The vectra used to disengage the cruise with both clutch and brake. Wondered if the guy has missed something when he fitted the cruise and to ring him back up or whether its right..

Many Thanks for reading and any replies
    Rob
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

[Feb 27, 2013]
    There is something wrong ! Depressing the clutch should definitely disengage cruise control !

You need to talk to the installer and/or Audi to get it fixed.
  4. Dannykn9

Dannykn9 "Cruise My Ride" VCDS Map User

[Feb 27, 2013]
    I am assuming you have a facelift model, late 2008 onwards?
    If so, then no the cruise does not cut out when you press the clutch pedal.
    I have installed many of these for the A3's and all facelift 8P3 models I have installed to are the same. BUT.. on the earlier models, then yes, the cruise does cut out.
    i too found this very strange as to why the 8P3 models differ, as it is also a bit of a safety feature.
  5. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 27, 2013]
    As said above, on the 8P3 A3's the clutch doesn't de-activate the Cruise Control, this allow you to change gear and keep the cruise control active.
  6. A3Kent

A3Kent Different Gear

[Feb 27, 2013]
    Yep, my 8P3 let's me change gear whilst cruise control is still active and doesn't de-activate.
  7. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

[Feb 27, 2013]
    Well bugger me !

I can't believe it's safe to have a CC that only responds to the brake pedal. Does that mean you can change down, as advised when reducing speed approaching roundabouts etc. , and then when you let the clutch up the car speeds up again ?

Or is it only when changing up ?
  8. Robhullfury

Robhullfury New Member

[Feb 27, 2013]
    Firstly thanks for all the replies. Yes its a 59plate so facelift sorry forgot to include that. As long as i know its a feature I dont mind can adapt driving accordingly im a lazy driver and use cc all the time (shift work means empty roads) just strange because even knocking into neutral for traffic lights it revs slighly then disengages. Strange but as long as its right I arent as concerned.
    Thanks for the replies once again, very helpful bunch on this forum haha.
    Rob
  9. audigex

audigex Active Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Changing gear doesn't cut the cruise control, although obviously putting the clutch in removes all power from the engine, so the cruise isn't actually driving the car at that point. If you watch the revs, it doesn't actually hold the revs up either - it just starts pulling again once the clutch is back up.

If you hold the clutch down for more than a few seconds - ie longer than a gear change - it does indeed de-activate the cruise, at least in my MY12 model. Similarly if you drop below the minimum speed (15km/h or 15mph, I think, can't remember which and that might be slightly wrong) it stops too, even if you've only had the clutch in momentarily.

The other methods are touching the brake (even if you don't get to the point the brake bites), or pushing the CC stick forward.
  10. Robhullfury

Robhullfury New Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    excellent, thanks for all the replies everybody. Wont go storming into Audi demanding it be fixed now :)
    Rob