Cruise control parts arrived!

Nickynibbles

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!
Reaction score
Thanks again to vagoparts for a speedy service, the bits for my cruise control arrived just a moment ago, no need to ask me what i'll be doing tonight when I get home then!!! Will have the camera handy to show peeps the process for those thinking about fitting cruise control or DIS or both!!

******, got home later than I planned so it was getting dark already!! Dont fancy doing this by torch light somehow!! Tomorrow night it'll have to be!!

Any joy yet?

Had a small problem, it didnt work!! Cutting a long story short (which is in the vagcom section if you really want to know what happened!) it turned out my local dealer was a lying little toe rag when they said I already had the correct steering wheel control module fitted! I fitted everything perfecly which took under an hour to do, but couldnt do the coding with vagcom. I've got a steering control module arriving tomorrow hopefully so i'll whip the steering column apart again to fit the new control module and I should be all sorted.

It really is a very simple job to do, i've got a selection of pics showing what I was doing, they're a little poor quality as light was fading but you'll be able to get the jist of it! Should get it posted Weds night as at Jimmy Carr tomorro night!!

Right then, she's all done and working like a treat!! Here's some piccies of the process, cant tell you how scary it is the 1st time you rip your expensive car to shreds!!

I followed the instructions found at www.audiretrofit.co.uk and found them to be perfectly detailed and easy to follow. Only niggly part came with the vagcom coding but soon figured that out after reading this here, i'll come onto that in a bit. Also thanks to Neil S on here for pointing me in the right direction and supplying the part numbers which i've listed here for reference:-

1 x 8E0 953 549 N Steering wheel control module
1 x 8E0 953 521 D Cruise control stork
1 x 8E0 953 512 L Steering column lower trim - check with dealer for colour code
2 x N 909 068 01 M2 screws

Right then, here's some pics............

The before shot.................

Cruise001.jpg

Undo the 2 x T30 torx bolts from the back of the steering...........

Cruise009.jpg

And carefully remove the airbag, undoing the wires that are attached behind.......

Cruise010.jpg

Undo the T55 bolt in the centre of the steering wheel & remove..............

Cruise011.jpg

Take the panel off the side of the dash on the drivers side, it just pops off when levered...............

Cruise004.jpg

Undo the 3 x bolts using an 8mm holding the footwell trim in place, one is visible in the above picture just above and left of the red fuse, the other 2 are in the bottom corners.............

Cruise005.jpg

The trim unclips easily, unplug the diagnostic port and remove the trim from the car........

Cruise007.jpg

Use a T8 torx screwdriver with 60mm shaft to undo 2 x torx bolts from the lower steering column cowling..............

Cruise002.jpg

Undo the colum adjuster and unscrew the hex bolt as shown............

Cruise003.jpg

This allows you to remove the lower cowling completely and lift the top part out of the way................

Cruise008.jpg

The steering wheel is seated on rotating clear plastic ring which is the steering ange sensor, try not to turn it with the wheel removed! You'll need to unclip it, there are 3 clips at the 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock & 10 o'clock positions and a plug on the top right......

Cruise013.jpg

You can now unscrew the wiper & indicator stalks. They are held in place by 2 x black T8 torx screws each, on the indicator stalk they are right hand side top & bottom & wiper stalk left top & bottom. Dont undo the silver screws else the stalks might come apart like my indicator stalk did, total pain in the butt to put back together again............................

Cruise014.jpg

Next undo a hex bolt underneath the indicator stalk screwed into a gold coloured metal bracket, this will make the whole lot come loose.................

Cruise015.jpg

The control module can now be removed and unplugged, with the new one put in its place. The cruise stalk attaches to the underneath of the indicator stalk, out them together before plugging into the control module, you cant do it when the indicator stalk is in place! Fit the wiper stalk back & put the 4 x black T8 torx bolts for the wiper & indicator stalks, plus 2 new T8 screws for the cruise control stalk, top left & right corners.................

Cruise016.jpg

Put all the bits back together again & this is what you get.............

Cruise017.jpg

Now the coding instructions on audiretrofit site omit 1 important bit here.......

"20. First of all if you fitted a new SCSM like I did you would need to code the SCSM with the correct coding Open VAG-COM Press Select [16 Steering wheel] Select Coding. Enter the correct coding for your car. Select Do It! Select fault codes Clear fault codes. Confirm non re-appear Close controller"

How do you know what the code is for your car?? The other link I gave has a link to the rosstech website explaining how to work out the login code you need to enable you to change the code, and then the actual code you need to enter. Both depend upon which combination of brakes, engine & gearbox you have. For your brake type look at the label inside your service book, one of the 3 digit codes will match one of the options, here's the link. My 3.0 qs has 1LT type brakes for example.

Once you've done part 20 carry on, the rest of the instructions are fine.

Needless to say im a happy chappy having done all this work myself, im very DIY capable generally anyway but it really is very simple. Hope this has helped in case you wish you had cruise control too, any questions please ask!

On a side note im selling on my original steering control module that enables the DIS function if you havent already got this. All you need is a replacement wiper stalk with the buttons and a have the module coded to you car. Ebay link is here, and fitment is as above basically!

Reactions: Dan_price_101