Cruise control cancellation question

Pintman

Reaction score
Having picked up my new A3 SB with comfort pack on 1st, I have been using the cruise quite a lot on the motorway and find it great. This afternoon I used it on an A road, 6th gear, 40mph. Coming up a hill, pressed the clutch in to change gear, thinking it would cancel the cruise, but oh no!. Stayed engaged!. Other cars I have had with cruise, cancels when touching the brake pedal, depressing the clutch or turning it off.

I have searched online and someone in the 8P section says that is is a feature of the cruise; to stay engaged with a short depress of the clutch, but cancels on a long depress. Yet to try out this theory.

Has anybody else noticed this feature of their cruise?. Need to look in the manual but it's in the car.

Cheers

Having picked up my new A3 SB with comfort pack on 1st, I have been using the cruise quite a lot on the motorway and find it great. This afternoon I used it on an A road, 6th gear, 40mph. Coming up a hill, pressed the clutch in to change gear, thinking it would cancel the cruise, but oh no!. Stayed engaged!. Other cars I have had with cruise, cancels when touching the brake pedal, depressing the clutch or turning it off.

I have searched online and someone in the 8P section says that is is a feature of the cruise; to stay engaged with a short depress of the clutch, but cancels on a long depress. Yet to try out this theory.

Has anybody else noticed this feature of their cruise?. Need to look in the manual but it's in the car.

Cheers

I don't have my 8V yet but I do have a copy of the Owner's Manual and on page 97 and 98 are the followings comments:

The cruise control system remains active while you change gears (applies to both manual and automatic gearboxes)

The cruise control system will be deactivated if you keep your foot on the clutch pedal

So it seems that there is a feature to stay engaged with a short depress of the clutch to change gear, but it does cancel on a long depress.

Reactions: Pintman
This new A3 is the first car I've had with cruise control. Found it very odd changing gear without using the throttle at first.

Also, this might sound stupid, but where do you place your foot when cruising? I hover over the accelerator, as I'm concerned if I need to brake in a hurry I might hit the throttle if my foot is resting flat on the floor. I so should have specced ACC!

Also, this might sound stupid, but where do you place your foot when cruising? I hover over the accelerator, as I'm concerned if I need to brake in a hurry I might hit the throttle if my foot is resting flat on the floor. I so should have specced ACC!

I usually figure, if I'm hovering over the throttle in case I need to take some quick action, then I shouldn't really be using cruise in that situation.

Thanks. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Found it very bizarre changing gear and keeping the same speed!. Oh well, another new thing to get used to!

I hover over the accelerator as well, so at least I know where the brake pedal is in case of an emergency. If my foot was on the floor, it could get confusing.

Haha I'm exactly the same, my first car with cruise control and I keep my foot hovering by the accelerator just in case! I'm sure we'll get used to it. I like the fact that you can change gear and it sticks on. If you hit an incline and feel the engine struggling you can simply drop the gear and the car accelerates back up to the required speed.

I've had cars with cruise for years and I still keep my foot in the rough area of the accelerator and brake just in case of any unexpected/unanticipated events.

I am still doing this even with ACC, as although it's utterly wonderful something could still occur that would require ME to do an emergency stop - like a badger running out in the middle of the night etc. No way I'd want to hit one in the S3, it would destroy the bumper.

I don't and never have done, I always use the stalk to temporarily turn it off. You should only use cruise in the appropriate situations...

Yep, use it in the right situations and you won't have a problem. I don't find it hard to quickly get to the brake from resting on the floor really. There's no benefit if you have to keep your feet poised all the time!

Reactions: constvoid