CRUISE CONTROL, CAN IT BE DONE?

blackwood

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just about to purchase a 1.9 tdi quattro (A3) and want to know if cruise control can be retro fitted.My local stealer says it can't be done,so to me that means it can,but they can't be *****.Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.I should like to use genuine parts if possible as if it was fitted as an option.If there are any companies you could recommend then that would be great,I am also looking to get a re-map,so any advice on that would also be welcome.
Thanks for taking the time to look,and thanks in advance for your comments...
Regards Blackwood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yes (as long as drive-by-wire). Most dealers haven't got a clue. One told me that you can't BECAUSE it is DBW.

[ QUOTE ]
DaveP said:
Yes (as long as drive-by-wire). Most dealers haven't got a clue. One told me that you can't BECAUSE it is DBW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all TDI's are drive-by-wire anyway so can be fitted with cruise easily, it's the petrol versions that have trouble.

APR can fit you cruise control at the same time as a chip as part of your chipping program, allowing you to switch betwen standard and chipped programs as well as security features on the cruise control stalk, so they would be you best option I beleive...two birds one stone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The dealer or someone like AmD can fit you the cruise control aswell but not to function with the chip/tuning software.

Just to save you a bit of time ploughing through the search engines I've put my choice of top/recognised tuners for Audi's (VAG), and although originally was aimed at chip tuning encompasses general tuning as well, and does have a focus on the UK market;

Most recognised within the UK:
APR - www.goapr.co.uk/dealer/index.html - Good maps and well respected, especially in the US. Just released OBD* tuning. Switchable options using cruise control.
REVO- www.revotechnik.com/uk/ukrevo.html - Good maps, one of the first tuners to offer OBD* tuning in UK. Switchable options using switch (Dongle).
AmD - www.auto-amd.com - More than just a chip tuner, they are a complete tuner unlike many others. Respect. New one-click system offers another option on tuning, by use of the OBD port.
Jabbasport - www.jabbasport.com/Audi/Jabbachips/Contact/contact.html - For those that want to take their tuning that little bit further. Well respected.
Forge Motorsport - www.forgemotorsport.co.uk - No chip tuning of their own but they do offer a number of great tuning products for VAG cars.
* - OBD = On Board Diagnostic. Tuning which is done via the diagnostic serial port located on the vehicle, so no chip replacement is required.

European VAG tuners:
Oettinger - www.oettinger.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - One of the longest running tuners for Audi's. A great tuner with a great range of products.
ABT- www.abtsportsline.co.uk/location.php3 - Again a long running tuner with good products. Official Audi chip tuning for The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium amongst other countries.
MTM- www.mtm-online.de or www.qstuning.com (UK dealer) - Well known for good maps with solid performance.
Projectzwo- www.projektzwo.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - Again a long runing tuner that's well respected.
SKN- www.skn-tuning.com or contact SKN (UK) Ltd. on www.scottsmototune.co.uk - Not so well known but good products nonetheless.
Upsolute - www.upsolute.com - Austrian tuner, well known worldwide.

Other recognised tuners for chips mainly;
Superchips - www.superchips.co.uk - Regarded as a general tuner offering nothing special, but map on 1.8T does produce good results!
Wetterauer - www.wetterauer.de - Not so well known german tuner, but still heard of. Used in both the US and Europe.
DBM - www.dbmengineering.nl - Similar to Jabbasport but in Holland. Nice product range with carbon air boxes. Produced a 420bhp S3 for the road!!
Bullpower - www.bullpower.nl - Very little known about this tuner, but show good figures.
Sportec- www.sportec.ch (Even though covered by AmD) - Relatively new to the UK scene. Good torque figures produced with the maps and satisfied customers.
Powerchips- www.powerchipgroup.com - Hardly ever mentioned on the forums, like Superchips, but look to provide good results. The website is extremely good, and the detailed datasheets provided within minutes of an enquiry are full of info. Available through www.mongooseexhausts.com or www.motorsportworld.co.uk <http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk>

The below tuners are mainly for the US guys, as some tuners are not quite so well known or even available within Europe or have different US websites to the above.
APR - www.goapr.com - Very well known both in Europe and the States and stage III tuning gives very good figures.
GIAC- www.giacusa.com - Again another well known tuner in the states.
Neuspeed - www.neuspeed.com - Well known in the states, but less so than the two above.
Greedspeed - www.greedspeed.com - I don't know much about these guys but the Yanks do from what it seems.
TAP (Total Audi Performance) - www.tap1.com - Again I know nothing about these guys but they do across the water
AmD - www.amdtechnikusa.com - Newbie to the States, but based on the European arm will provide good products.
Forge Motorsport - www.forgemotorsport.com - No chip tuning of their own but they do offer a number of great tuning products for VAG cars.

All have their merits, and really it's a personal choice, and you have to check around before choosing in my opinion. There are many other smaller tuners who offer chips etc. but are not widely recognised, but can offer options cheaper than above, so additonal research will pay off.
Do not think for one moment that the above is comprehensive, it is only my opinion and based on my knowledge of tuning, the products offered and comments I have picked up on my travels and is intended to be unbiased, but I do have a weak spot for Oettinger these days

Thanks for all your help guys,my steaker told me it was factory fit only,in other words walk away in jerky movements.... Am having it fitted at Stealth racing next week,can't see it affecting my warranty as the stealer will think i's been fitted at the factory,after all it can't be done any other way!!!
Cheers Blackwood

Hi All,
Just to update you,Stealth Racing did the job for £175+VAT,took about 2 hours,first class job,don't know how I managed without it!
Regards Blackwood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

i don't mind getting involved retro fitting thing like cruise control i think i must have been one of the first guys to fit cruise to the new a4 when it came out you will ind that the managers dont want the grief, i know that it can be fitted to drive by wire i had the damn kit for a mk4 golf on my old golf turbo kit cost me 49 quid and i fitted it myself!!!! so it can be done to all drive by wire cars provided you can find someone how wants to do it for you

foolish3,

was the cc for a B5 or B6 A4 ?
do you have the part numbers of the parts you used ?

cheers

Is it only possible to fit cruise control to a dbw car? Can I not fit it to a 1.8 A4 which isn't dbw. Surely they must have had cruise control on the cable cars?!!?!?!!?!?

just dip your clutch!!! so how much / hard would these be to fit? Is it actually possible to fit retro cruise control to non dbw and is it worth it cost wise.

Does anyone know the correct part number (for the stalk) of a 2000 (B5) A4?

I know there are different stalks. I have tried 1J0 953 513 01 C but that didn't work...

cheers