1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credit Crunch = second hand car values plummet

SonicDeathmonkey Aug 29, 2008

1. Is it just me, or have second hand car values taken a big hit of late? There are S4s on autotrader from 4K.

2. Fraser

Fraser Member

basically yes plus anything newer than March 2001 with power

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

4. Mine is a 99 S4 with 170K. Lots of history. Probably worth not much at all!

5. Booster

Booster Member

I work in vehicle finance and we subscribe to Glass's Guide. I've been doing my job for 12 years and have never seen values fall so much in such a short period of time. An "average" £12k car has lost around £1700 from June's book to September's book.

2006 A4 2.0TQ S-Line lost £650 in September's book. That is after losing £700 in August's book and £725 in July's.

V plate Toyota Celica booking at £2200 lost £500 in August's book. Almost 25% in a month!!!!!!

Madness!!!:rolleyes:

6. Z82

Z82 Member

Yup noticed it myself, good for buyers not so good for sellers :(

7. I wonder what's the best value sub-6 second 0-60 car out there at the minute?

8. Fraser

Fraser Member

B5 RS4 - pick a good one up for 17k ish I reckon

B5 S4 - hard to beat if you can find a tidy one bang for buckness, boxter beater

not sure about other marques

9. Dan Gliballs

Dan Gliballs Active Member

Yep, I paid £9,800 for my 99 T-reg S4 Avant with 75K miles on two and a bit years ago,.........now I'd be lucky to see £6,800.

10. hiltoa

hiltoa VAG erfahren

RS4 deffo best bang (what a bang - different league to pretty much anything on the road barring exotica) for buck long term - once we come out of the other side of this downturn I reckon the rarity should nicely pull the value back up for good ones.

S4 is better value short term - but if you throw a chunk of cash at it to get 'cheaper' RS4 performance you won't get it back at resale.

I reckon audi is one of the safest marques to have your money in :kissmyrings:

A 2.2d Mondeo optioned up is over £30k new - same spec 07 plates are going for £15k!

11. I pity anyone who bought a new Alpha lately...