1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creamy under oil filler cap?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_dpo, Oct 26, 2004.

1. imported_dpo

imported_dpo Guest

Hi I have a 01 S3 and today i took the oil filler cap off and noticed it was a bit creamy, does this indicate my head gasket is on the way out or could it be condensation??

Cheers

Dan Orchard
  2. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

if its just a small anount, then it could just be condensation from the breather system especially if the car has sat about. I would expect more cross cobtamination in the oil and water if there was a head gasket problem.
  3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

I personally would not take the chance...Get it looked at ASAP

Rich
  4. MickA3

MickA3 Member

i'm by no means an expert but when buying my a3 i looked at loads of cars and nearly all had creamy white gunk under oil filler cap....i would say its nothing....
  5. Danielson

Danielson Member

well mine avnt, i wouldnt like to c any either. its not good [censored]. gotta b head gasket
  6. RichA3Turbo

Mine doesnt eiter, nor does my brothers 1.8T A4... water and oil = disaster waiting to happen!
  7. Add7

Add7 Member

my a3 doesnt either. sorry
  8. imported_dpo

imported_dpo Guest

Took it to the local Audi dealer they said it is common to have a little bit of cream on the filler cap with the weather getting colder. Its nothing to worry about now so i can relax a little!!!

Cheers for your help guys!!

Dan
  9. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

That stuff is disgusting - always seen in Rover K-series engines LOL. I've seen it in the whole engine and in the expansion tank too.
  10. RichA3Turbo

[ QUOTE ]
    khufu said:
    That stuff is disgusting - always seen in Rover K-series engines LOL. I've seen it in the whole engine and in the expansion tank too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who even considers buying a car with this engine fitted is a fool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
  11. excursion

excursion Member

If the car has been used for short trips that's quite normal. Do a sniff test in the header tank to check for HG problems.
  12. Gordon

Gordon New Member

The creamy stuff is an oil and water emulsion. I would suggest the following checks before starting to get too worried.
    1) Is there any sign of oil in the cooling system? Check the expansion tank. If so, then you may have a problem.
    2) if not, check that the crankcase ventilation system is working and not clogged up. Disconnect any pipes and clean out if necessary. I'm not sure where they are on the A3. Look around the engine there should be a pipe running from the crankcase to the inlet/inlet manifold somewhere.
    3) After you have done this take the car for a longish run. Long enough to allow the engine oil to get hot enough to evaporate any water present.
    If after having done all this there is still a problem then you will have to further investigate how water is getting into your oil.

I have a '98 1.6 A3 and have never had this problem but I have had it in other cars especially if parked outside in winter.
  13. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

Any MOT testing place can check for HC's in the expansion tank too. It may help to put your mind at rest.