creaking when steering . . . HELP!

stesmith89

Reaction score
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can give me some help or guidance . . .

I have a 2005 A3 Sport 3 door 2.0 FSI. Very recently the steering has started to make quite a loud creaking noise. This only occurs when i am going very slowly (5mph and below) and when stationary, it also only seems to occur when the wheel is just off centre. i.e. the creaking happens when the wheel is centred, and is then turned 20 - 30 degrees or so to the left. It only happens left, the noise doesn't happen when steering right. I took it to a garage who diagnosed the problem as needing replacement wishbone bushes, so i got those replaced and the noise went away for about 24hrs, then came back. anyone else had this problem? if so what was the cause with your car? im dreading it being the steering rack . . . EXPENSIVE! also if it is the rack, is it particularly dangerous to leave it this way? will it get worse?

Thanks in advance

(a very worried) Ste.

I'm afraid it's most likely the rack, it's a known fault to the point its been redesigned. I too have an early A3 and I hope i dont suffer from it eventually. I dont know how dangerous it can get, everyobdy I've read about has had it repaired without leaving it too long.